Cleaner for Garmin 126SV Screen Surface

What’s everyone using to clean their Garmin screen surfaces? The owners manual says to use an optics cleaner that will not harm anti-reflective coatings.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I have a bottle of eye glass cleaner and microfiber cloth...in fact it was Sam"s Club eye center.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Windex with vinegar works great
    A microfiber cloth is a must
    "The handicapped angler"

4. Member
    I use distilled water with a little white vinegar & microfiber.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

I dip my microfiber into the lake and wipe the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerman522 View Post
    What’s everyone using to clean their Garmin screen surfaces? The owners manual says to use an optics cleaner that will not harm anti-reflective coatings.
    Before you do anything else, put a tempered glass screen protector on your unit. If you smack it with a jig and crack the factory glass you're done for.

I use the one from RMP and I believe they are clear - not anti-reflective. You can clean them with just about anything. Sometimes I wipe mine off with water and a microfiber cloth. If you're fishing in the hood and it takes a bullet, you'll be glad you have one on... well, that's what one of their ad videos suggests. LOL
    Last edited by 86 inches; 04-21-2024 at 08:59 AM.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

7. Member
    Walmart sells an 8 oz. spray bottle of Zeiss eye glass cleaner for $3.00 and change that is safe for anti-reflective coatings. I also purchased an extra big microfiber cleaning cloth there as well for ~ $3.00. I just spray a little on the cloth then wipe my screens clean. Works really well.

8. Member
    Humminbird recommends Windex with vinegar, I would think both screens are made of the same material.

9. Member

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    Before you do anything else, put a tempered glass screen protector on your unit. If you smack it with a jig and crack the factory glass you're done for.

I use the one from RMP and I believe they are clear - not anti-reflective. You can clean them with just about anything. Sometimes I wipe mine off with water and a microfiber cloth. If you're fishing in the hood and it takes a bullet, you'll be glad you have one on... well, that's what one of their ad videos suggests. LOL
    x2 on this. Get a quality screen protector asap. I use a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water and wipe with a microfiber cloth.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

11. Member
    Thanks everyone! Much appreciated!

12. Member
    "Garmin recommends using a non-abrasive soap and water mixture to clean a unit's display. A micro-fiber or a soft cotton cloth should then be used to remove any excess water.
    Please be sure to wipe the screen gently, as hard rubbing may remove the anti-reflective coating. If the unit is being used in a salt water application, be sure to rinse the display before wiping. Salt can act as an abrasive when wiped across the display.
    Cleaners that include chemicals such as ammonia, alcohol, or any acidic liquid will remove the anti-reflective film and cause the display to spot".
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

13. Member
    If you want to spend some coin, an excellent product to clean/protect glass and plastic screens is a Product called Plexus. It is used by airplane pilots to keep their windshield clean. Our local crop dusters swear by it to protect their screens from bugs, dust, chemicals etc. A 12 oz can has lasted me over a year. It is a light foam that you spray on, wipe off with a micro fiber towel. It costs about $19.99 a can around here in SE Missouri.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoStratos View Post
    If you want to spend some coin, an excellent product to clean/protect glass and plastic screens is a Product called Plexus. It is used by airplane pilots to keep their windshield clean. Our local crop dusters swear by it to protect their screens from bugs, dust, chemicals etc. A 12 oz can has lasted me over a year. It is a light foam that you spray on, wipe off with a micro fiber towel. It costs about $19.99 a can around here in SE Missouri.
    I use Plexus on my boat windshields and vehicle plastic headlights, works well but very expensive in Canada ($40.00 a can). Windex with vinegar works ok on my Humminbirds.

15. Member

Works great for me.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post

I agree with this. I got the screen protector from Precision Sonar.

17. Member
    Typically my water spots come off just by wiping it down with my columbia fishing shirt.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71