Helix depth reading issues

Hi everyone,
    I just installed a Helix 10 GN4 at the console, with the mega side imaging transducer and the 2D through hull transducer with Y cable,for reading while on plane. I am getting a bad depth reading of 1.9 feet on the unit. It will read accurately then go back to 1.9. Any suggestion on what may be causing this issue? I assume the side and down imaging transducer is supposed to give me depth readings on the si and di screen, and the 2D displays only in the 2D screen?
    Thanks,
    Brian

2D/Depth with your installation comes from the shoot-thru all the time. Depth comes from the center of the 2D pulse for all views.

SI and DI do Range.

How did the shoot-thru do when you did the testing BEFORE you attached it to the hull?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne,
    didn't test prior to installing, wasn’t aware it was necessary and it wasn’t suggested in the instructions. So all depth readings on the Helix at the console come from the 2D transducer, so there’s an issue with that. Should I remove it and reinstall? Any other suggestions?
    thanks
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian G View Post
    Thanks Wayne,
    didn't test prior to installing, wasn’t aware it was necessary and it wasn’t suggested in the instructions. So all depth readings on the Helix at the console come from the 2D transducer, so there’s an issue with that. Should I remove it and reinstall? Any other suggestions?
    thanks
    Brian
    Your results reflects your preparation. Read post #2 here----Installation & Networking Information Resource (bbcboards.net)
    Add to that to make sure the shoot-thru works before doing the above by holding it overboard in the water.

The SIDB Y cable disconnects the 2D piezo (no wires) in the SI transducer and connects the added 2D transducer (wires) in its place.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    I'd set my max water depth to about twice the max water depth you expect to encounter. Helps sometimes.

I keep mine at 80.

Now you know why I don't like, and don't use, shoot through transducers. No matter how carefully you plan and test, once you stick it in the epoxy it's all over, good or bad.

Buy you a transducer block, (I use Stern Saver) glue it to the transom, and mount a skimmer on it. Yeah, you can rip it off, but I'm on my fourth year with this one and I fish a lot of wood.

6. Member
    Well the 1.9 depth reading wasn’t an issue today, but the 2D sonar stopped reading when I got up on plane. It worked great otherwise. What causes the 2D to stop reading completely when on plane?
    Brian

7. Member
    Air under the transducer. In your case, hull.

I would check out the Y cable to make sure it's together good. Those connections can be extremely stiff. If it's not together good, the unit could still be looking for a 2D signal from the SI transducer, and that I'm sure is out the water on plane.

Hopefully you can get to it. If you can, just plug your 2D transducer directly into the unit and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    Air under the transducer. In your case, hull.

I would check out the Y cable to make sure it's together good. Those connections can be extremely stiff. If it's not together good, the unit could still be looking for a 2D signal from the SI transducer, and that I'm sure is out the water on plane.

Hopefully you can get to it. If you can, just plug your 2D transducer directly into the unit and see what happens.

If a Y cable is installed, it is impossible to get 2D from the SI transducer. There are no wires for the unit to “look” for the 2D piezo.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Only a suggestion to help the OP discover his problem. I agree with your wiring analysis if the Y cable is installed. Worth checking out.

He is obviously getting a 2D signal from somewhere off plane. It's most likely an installation issue, hence my first sentence.

Through hull transducers suck.