Shimano Poison Adrena

Thinking about getting a Poison Adrena 7'3" MH Reg/fast to pull double duty for swim jigs but mostly 1/2oz chatter baits. Does this sound reasonable? Also there are a couple reviews (older I think) about them breaking on hooks sets. Is this a known issue with these breaking or just some people having bad luck ?

2. Member
    I cannot comment on whether the Shimano Poison Adrena 7'3" MH Reg/Fast rod is suitable for swim jigs or 1/2oz chatterbaits, as I do not use my Poison Adrena rods for those techniques.

However, I can address the claims that Shimano Poison Adrena rods are susceptible to breaking during hooksets. While any product made by humans can suffer from manufacturing defects, I own two dozen Shimano JDM rods from the Poison Adrena, Glorious, and Ultima lines, and none have broken to date. This could be due to my meticulous care for rod storage and usage on my bass boats. It's likely that breakages during hooksets are more often caused by having too many rods on the deck and accidentally stepping on them, or boat flipping fish, both activities that exceeds the rod blank's stress capacity, rather than by actual manufacturing defects.

Indeed, these pictures serve as evidence akin to the original BBS days, suggesting that I may possess some experience in this subject matter.

01-Shimano-PU-1.jpg
    Shimano 22 Poison Ultima 170MH, perhaps the finest JDM bottom contact rod Shimano has ever made period!

Shimano-PA-1611-M-Rod-Balance-Picture-01.jpg
    As requested by someone on the TT forum, here's a balanced view of the Shimano 21 Antares DC reel paired with the Shimano Poison Adrena PA1611 M+ casting rod, which is the most versatile PA rod in my collection.

Good luck with your swim jig and chatterbait rod search!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

3. Member
    I have a poison adrena 7’4 heavy that I’ve boat flipped many fish on. No issues other than a reel seat that came unglued but they took care of it with a free replacement

Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    Thinking about getting a Poison Adrena 7'3" MH Reg/fast to pull double duty for swim jigs but mostly 1/2oz chatter baits. Does this sound reasonable? Also there are a couple reviews (older I think) about them breaking on hooks sets. Is this a known issue with these breaking or just some people having bad luck ?
    My 7'3" MH works fine for swimjigs. I use the 7'4" heavy 3/8-2 oz for my chatterbaits and magdrafts. The big stick has a bit more of a parabolic action that helps keep hookups with the chatterbaits.
    Never heard of any breaking. Mine have been fine for 4 or 5 years, I guess.
    Last edited by 86 inches; 04-22-2024 at 07:58 PM.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post
    I cannot comment on whether the Shimano Poison Adrena 7'3" MH Reg/Fast rod is suitable for swim jigs or 1/2oz chatterbaits, as I do not use my Poison Adrena rods for those techniques.

However, I can address the claims that Shimano Poison Adrena rods are susceptible to breaking during hooksets. While any product made by humans can suffer from manufacturing defects, I own two dozen Shimano JDM rods from the Poison Adrena, Glorious, and Ultima lines, and none have broken to date. This could be due to my meticulous care for rod storage and usage on my bass boats. It's likely that breakages during hooksets are more often caused by having too many rods on the deck and accidentally stepping on them, or boat flipping fish, both activities that exceeds the rod blank's stress capacity, rather than by actual manufacturing defects.

Indeed, these pictures serve as evidence akin to the original BBS days, suggesting that I may possess some experience in this subject matter.

01-Shimano-PU-1.jpg
    Shimano 22 Poison Ultima 170MH, perhaps the finest JDM bottom contact rod Shimano has ever made period!

Shimano-PA-1611-M-Rod-Balance-Picture-01.jpg
    As requested by someone on the TT forum, here's a balanced view of the Shimano 21 Antares DC reel paired with the Shimano Poison Adrena PA1611 M+ casting rod, which is the most versatile PA rod in my collection.

Good luck with your swim jig and chatterbait rod search!
    Ooh! I'd love one of those.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    Ooh! I'd love one of those.
    Which one in particular sir?
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post
    Which one in particular sir?
    The Ultima. Looks bad ass. But 900 bucks. Too rich for my blood.

8. Member
    The Ultima. Looks bad ass. But 900 bucks. Too rich for my blood.
    Haha! The pitfall of Shimano "exercising" their prerogative to sell the Torzite version in the US market and price gouge everyone while selling the "lesser" SiC version in the JDM market! The wonders of global macroeconomics never cease to amaze me.

Fortunately, I purchased all three of my Shimano 22 Poison Ultima 170MH (and the other set of three 1611 PU) rods from Japan for a great deal less than the asking price of the US "version" sir.

Just for fun I checked my go to Japanese outlet.... "Sorry. No stock"

Still, a lot of money.

10. Member
    Just for fun I checked my go to Japanese outlet.... "Sorry. No stock"

Still, a lot of money.
    Are you sure? JDMTackleHeaven currently offers the "new" JDM model with SiC guides for $627. As I mentioned earlier, the "Torzite" models of the PU rods are no longer available in Japan; they were all sent to the US, allowing Shimano to exercise their global macroeconomic strategy by targeting the area with the highest demand. The only functional difference is that one model features Fuji Torzite guides, while the other has Fuji SiC guides. In practical terms, most people won't notice any difference in usage.

11. Member
    I have the entire Adrena line of baitcasting rods.

I personally don’t like 1/2 ounce chatterbaits on the 7’3”MH. Mostly because after you put a trailer of some sort on that bait, you’re slinging closer to an ounce or more of weight.

For me, I much prefer the 7’2”H adrena for your use.

12. Member
    Thanks all. So to the guys who prefer the heavy do you use braid or fluorocarbon?

13. Member
    Thanks all. So to the guys who prefer the heavy do you use braid or fluorocarbon?
    On my 7’2”H I have flouro. On my 7’4”H I have braid.

14. Member
    I own the 7'3 and use it for both chatterbaits and swim jigs, very enjoyable, light and well balanced. Plenty of power, the post about 1/2 oz chatterbait pushing the limits for the cast it pretty accurate, but that is the main one I use and it feels stressed, but not overly so if that makes sense. Also it is a great spinnerbait rod as well. Have owned a few Poison Adrenas and have been very satisfied with them. Good luck!

15. Member
    Thanks for all the replies.I know a tackle shop that stocks them so maybe I'll have to down to get a feel for them.