Oil slick on 150 ProXs 4 stroke

150 ProXS with 48 hours
    Serial number 3B183803

Runs great, no water in lower unit, oil level has gone down a little bit and is dark after 30 hours. No visible leaks with cowling off or drain plug.

The motor leaves a small oil slick especially in the morning on first launch.
    From what I can tell, it is coming from top vents on lower unit.

Any ideas or just take it to a Merc dealer?
    Thank you!!

This picture was after idling for 10 minutes after first launch yesterday.

IMG_2301.JPG

Just bought 2023 Z18 with 2022 Merc 150 Pro XS....after 2 hour break in, puddle of oil under lower unit...same areas checked by myself as yours .... took back to BP...mechanic found seal in oil pump bad....parts ordered.

3. Member
    Thanks and sorry to hear about your issue on a new boat. My motor is a 2022 model as well, interesting.

It thinks its a 2 stroke or a Harley!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

5. Member
    LOL, I guess it gives it character. ��

6. Member
    Hey showmespec, did they order you this part? I may order it and do it myself instead of being without a boat for who knows how long. Thank you
    SEAL Oil Tank
    8M0034754

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasteria View Post
    Hey showmespec, did they order you this part? I may order it and do it myself instead of being without a boat for who knows how long. Thank you
    SEAL Oil Tank
    8M0034754
    he said leak was oil pump not oil tank?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No way would I be tearing into my "less than 1 year old" 150 Fourstroke to fix an oil leak.

First and foremost: If you're using MERCURY's oil, it contains UV Trace Dye, meaning UV light (and glasses) can be used to help determine the "source" of the oil.

Get it in to the dealer for inspection.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    I’ll get it to a dealer for inspection. Thank you Don!!

BP Marine dealer doing work...told me oil pump seal....best advice is take it to a dealer.
    Sorry for the delay.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by showmespec View Post
    BP Marine dealer doing work...told me oil pump seal....best advice is take it to a dealer.
    Sorry for the delay.
    Hate to hear you're down. Try your best to keep to one engine/poster per thread to help avoid confusion (I know you didn't intend to hi-jack the thread).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor