Ugent Help needed, whats most accurate?

I am having two Helix 12s linked together to share wpts (obviously one at console mainly for Side Imaging and one at the bow to then see the wpts which I made while side imaging).

I always use a heading sensor puck so that when I'm standing still fishing from the bow, my chart screen does not flip (I hate "north up" and need the heading sensor). So if I side image and mark a wpt of an object from the console and then jump to the trolling motor to navigate to that wpt, where should I have my heading sensor mounted on the boat to be most accurate in relation to the actual objec which I made at console?

I don't want to be 21' off etc. Humminbird said most people put the heading sensor above the transducer being used to make the wpt (but that would be in the rear of the boat and I assume that would make my wpt 21' off when I got to the front and fish from the bow?) (I've also heard there is a lot of "RF interference" from the main motor so putting the heading sensor directly above the rear transducer might also be an issue)

thx !!

2. Member
    My other question I forgot is whether there is an advantage to having two heading sensors for any reason?

3. Member
    Heading sensor. Only 1 needed, it needs to be parallel to the keel of the boat. Just put it where there is no magnetic interference. It can be anywhere on the boat otherwise . I will read the rest again and reply. Bob
    The GPS location should be as close to the transducer you are using to create the waypoint(SI transducer on the transom- The GPS should be located close to the stern, but not very close to the outboard( electrical noise possible). The bow tranducer should use a GPS source up there. Trolling motor-ipilot is perfect but otherwise a close as you can to the transducer.
    Note: Your SI marked waypoint location will not be perfect as you only have a range from the SI ducer(slant range) it will depend on the depth of the target. Usually pretty close and you can put a more accurate mark on it when located. Unless it is a moving target(fish)
    Last edited by bobcoy; 04-23-2024 at 11:01 AM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

4. Member
    What model TM do you have? If you have a networked MK Link model, you can use that as your heading source when the TM is deployed. If not, then use the heading sensor mounted at the bow and place a regular GPS receiver at rear of boat. Test your location before permanently mounting. I have mine mounted at the bow next to the footpedal tray with no issues. Your boat position will be based on which ever GPS/Fishfinder you are using to navigate to the saved waypoint.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    What model TM do you have? If you have a networked MK Link model, you can use that as your heading source when the TM is deployed. If not, then use the heading sensor mounted at the bow and place a regular GPS receiver at rear of boat. Test your location before permanently mounting. I have mine mounted at the bow next to the footpedal tray with no issues. Your boat position will be based on which ever GPS/Fishfinder you are using to navigate to the saved waypoint.
    My set up will be a Move Trolling Motor and the front Helix is only going to be used for mapping (so no Humminbird transducer up front). The rear transducer is the Humminbird mega SI and it will be networked to the front Humminbird. That said, not sure I completely understood what you said or if it applies.

6. Member
    The Helix has a built in GPS. The one on the bow is close enough to put your bow over the spot you have saved from the SI unit
    Question: Are you in MN or NY
    Last edited by bobcoy; 04-23-2024 at 11:19 AM.

If you want to use a Humminbird Heading Sensor with a Helix, the AS GPS HS has to be at the bow since you cannot subscribe to Heading separate from GPS.
    Then for accurate marking for waypoints at the console using the transom sonar transducer, you need an external GPS antenna at the transom--AS GRP.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    If he is not confused now he never will be! Yes the bow is where you have to have the heading sensor so you know where to cast standing still. Most accurate for the stern mounted SI would be the 2nd GPS close to the stern. I was trying to save you getting a 2nd GPS but the Helix (as Wayne pointed out has limitations sharing the heading sensor.) If you drivers seat is fairly close to the back of the boat you might get by without one, but you did say most accurate.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If you want to use a Humminbird Heading Sensor with a Helix, the AS GPS HS has to be at the bow since you cannot subscribe to Heading separate from GPS.
    Then for accurate marking for waypoints at the console using the transom sonar transducer, you need an external GPS antenna at the transom--AS GRP.
    Thanks Wayne. Can you briefly describe where the AS GRP and also the as gps HS get wired into and if I need certain splitters or wiring etc. Huge thanks!

Question;
    What is the difference between a AS GOS HS GPS and the AS GPS HS?
    I have the first one listed and now I wonder if I have the wrong one. I connect it to my Helix 10 G3N.

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    Thanks Wayne. Can you briefly describe where the AS GRP and also the as gps HS get wired into and if I need certain splitters or wiring etc. Huge thanks!
    The Humminbird antennas have a 20' NMEA0183 cable that connects directly to and are powered by the displays.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by SJSharky00 View Post
    Question;
    What is the difference between a AS GOS HS GPS and the AS GPS HS?
    I have the first one listed and now I wonder if I have the wrong one. I connect it to my Helix 10 G3N.
    The AS GRHA is the High Accuracy GPS antennna that was discontinued many years ago since the AS GR50 was just as accurate. Then the AS GR50 was replaced by the AS GRP.
    I see AMAZON has AS GOS HS GPS as the name for the AS GRHA

The AS GPS HS is a combo GPS antenna and Heading Sensor---the only heading sensor that Humminbird has ever had.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    The Helix has a built in GPS. The one on the bow is close enough to put your bow over the spot you have saved from the SI unit
    Question: Are you in MN or NY
    NY sadly

14. Member
    The Humminbird antennas have a 20' NMEA0183 cable that connects directly to and are powered by the displays.
    Thanks again. If my dealer does not have a AS GRP available, is it functional to only put the AS GPS HS at the bow and nothing over the rear mega transducer for the console unit? Would that just be less accurate?

Thanks again. If my dealer does not have a AS GRP available, is it functional to only put the AS GPS HS at the bow and nothing over the rear mega transducer for the console unit? Would that just be less accurate?
    Will do somewhat OK and less accurate.
    The waypoints you mark at the console will have a position error of the distance between the display and transducer for sonar related waypoints.
    That error will be permanent for any GPS device to locate the subject of the waypoint.
    The error will be doubled when you approach the waypoint from the opposite direction from when it was marked.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    Will do somewhat OK and less accurate.
    The waypoints you mark at the console will have a position error of the distance between the display and transducer for sonar related waypoints.
    That error will be permanent for any GPS device to locate the subject of the waypoint.
    The error will be doubled when you approach the waypoint from the opposite direction from when it was marked.
    Ok, it would be only temporary until I could get ahold of one. I assume if I don’t have the AS GRP, when I put in my SD card that had my pre existing wpts, those would still be the same and functional?

Ok, it would be only temporary until I could get ahold of one. I assume if I don’t have the AS GRP, when I put in my SD card that had my pre existing wpts, those would still be the same and functional?
    Yes.
    Once a waypoint is created, it is a place on the Earth that can be located by any GPS antenna.
    It's accuracy when created is what matters.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    This is the setup I have, and it works perfect!

19. Member
    I run two external pucks one at bow and one at stern for console graphs. Place as close to the transducers you are using to mark waypoints.

20. Member
    The AS GRHA is the High Accuracy GPS antennna that was discontinued many years ago since the AS GR50 was just as accurate. Then the AS GR50 was replaced by the AS GRP.
    I see AMAZON has AS GOS HS GPS as the name for the AS GRHA

The AS GPS HS is a combo GPS antenna and Heading Sensor---the only heading sensor that Humminbird has ever had.
    So it looks like Amazon does not have the most updated AS GRP? They list the older one you mentioned for $134 (on the picture of the puck it just says “precision gps module”). And they also show one for $154 and the picture on the puck says “as grha high accuracy gps”. I assume neither of these is the current AS GRP? I might just order direct from Humminbird but want to make sure I don’t get the wrong or old one.? Thx Wayne