Keep SS3D or go to 3 in 1?

Current set up: Carbon 12 on bow with HDI on trolling motor for 2D and AT connected with Ethernet to console with Gen3 SS3D. Planning on moving Carbon to console and buying a Live when they go on sale ( not in tournaments etc so don’t mind being 2 generations behind). I see that you can buy the head unit only and was wondering if the 3D would work with the Carbon or should I go with the AI 3 in 1? Could I also stack the Gen 3 on bow just for mapping?

2. Member
    Been using SS3D on Carbon since I bought my Carbons in March of 2018. Still the best sidescan you can get...way better than a 3 in 1.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewNitro View Post
    Current set up: Carbon 12 on bow with HDI on trolling motor for 2D and AT connected with Ethernet to console with Gen3 SS3D. Planning on moving Carbon to console and buying a Live when they go on sale ( not in tournaments etc so don’t mind being 2 generations behind). I see that you can buy the head unit only and was wondering
    1. if the 3D would work with the Carbon or should I go with the AI 3 in 1?
    2.Could I also stack the Gen 3 on bow just for mapping?
    1. I prefer SS3D over all other alternatives.
    2. Yes, just ensure the Gen 3 is fully updated and it will network will with newer units.

4. Member
    Agreed, SS3D if my preference also. I will get the 3in1 HD nosecone for my Ghost to complement my SS3D and have the best of both worlds where I need them.
    ciao,
    Marc

5. Member
    Thanks for all the answers ! Best forum on the net

6. Member
    Ive run them all, SS3d is better than the original active imaging transducer, howver the new AI 3-1HD is better than the SS3D.

Quote Originally Posted by tayzak15 View Post
    Ive run them all, SS3d is better than the original active imaging transducer, howver the new AI 3-1HD is better than the SS3D.
    Have heard this a bit... I am also a SS3D guy, and despite running several Pros so have several HD3n1's laying around I am still running the SS3D. At some point I will likely install the HD3n1 also on the other side of the jackplate, just to see the differences. But I suspect it will be similar to previous comparisons - SS3D will excel at longer ranges, able to reach out to 600ft, and HD3n1 will give better imaging at shorter distances ie under 60-80ft or so. As Marc mentioned, kind of the best of both worlds scenario.

8. Member
    Agreed, SS3D if my preference also. I will get the 3in1 HD nosecone for my Ghost to complement my SS3D and have the best of both worlds where I need them.

Was wondering if you get any cross interference with this set up?

Had SS3D and now AI3n1HD.
    Aint going back.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Had SS3D and now AI3n1HD.
    Aint going back.
    Tell us why at least...

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Tell us why at least...
    Shadowing is why.

Shadowing is great with SS3D. Range, contrast, and surface clarity is the only thing i adjust. Contrast/pallettes is what I adjust the most.
    2012 Stratos 294 Evolution, Mercury 200 PROXS (1B933452)// HDS live 12 with AT 1, HDS Pro 10 with AT 2, HDS Carbon 12 with SS3D, point 1, sonichub2, Lowrance Ghost, and 3 Ionic lithium batteries.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]549352[/ATTACH

No, its not boat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 Stratos 294 Evolution, Mercury 200 PROXS (1B933452)// HDS live 12 with AT 1, HDS Pro 10 with AT 2, HDS Carbon 12 with SS3D, point 1, sonichub2, Lowrance Ghost, and 3 Ionic lithium batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by bb45 View Post
    Shadowing is great with SS3D. Range, contrast, and surface clarity is the only thing i adjust. Contrast/pallettes is what I adjust the most.
    Fish and fish shadows