Charger 130 degrees. Too hot?

Tested out my new charger today. Laying flat on the table, the back is over 130 degrees. Is this normal? Just feels really warm.

it’s a NOCO genius 5x2

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    if you are charging lithium most chargers can get 130 to 145 degrees
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    if you are charging lithium most chargers can get 130 to 145 degrees
    Thank you. This is part of my switch to lithium.

edit: you’re spot on. Temp climbed to 143 after charging for a couple hours.
    Last edited by FatFisherman; 04-24-2024 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FatFisherman View Post
    Tested out my new charger today. Laying flat on the table, the back is over 130 degrees. Is this normal? Just feels really warm.

it’s a NOCO genius 5x2
    I noticed this with the 36v bank of my charger when doing a longer charge - it actually has a fan but it did not kick on. I contacted the manf. who advised the fan kicks on at 125*. I put Temp gun on it an it was only 119, but that's still hot to the touch of course. But yeah I guess the point is they can get hot :).

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    I noticed this with the 36v bank of my charger when doing a longer charge - it actually has a fan but it did not kick on. I contacted the manf. who advised the fan kicks on at 125*. I put Temp gun on it an it was only 119, but that's still hot to the touch of course. But yeah I guess the point is they can get hot :).
    They sure do! Mine is a completely sealed unit. I guess I’m just surprised it doesn't have a fan or heat sink at those temps. I might mount it with some spacers to let a little air flow behind it.

6. Member
    It is always a good idea to open the compartment the charger is in while charging to allow heat to escape.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    It is always a good idea to open the compartment the charger is in while charging to allow heat to escape.
    This time of year, I will put a box fan blowing into that “open” compartment. For my single bank Ionic charger, I set it on a jalapeño rack, kinda like a heat sink.