Charlie Brewer Slider Rod

I was out messing with tackle today and came across my Charlie Brewer slider rod that I bought in the late 70’s or early 80’s. I also found my box of slider heads and “do nothing” worms. The old guys know what I’m talking about. Anyway, I put a newer reel on it and some new line. Thinking about giving this old technique a try again. Back in the day I caught a ton of fish on this little rod. Since FFS has proven that suspending bass do bite , what do I have to lose. The only thing that worries me a little is we have 8 to 10 pounders living here in FL. I guess that’s why a reel has a drag.

2. Member
    Go for it nothing to lose.

3. Member
    Excellent, I still have a box full of Whirly Bees and use an old Falcon spinning rod. The old school version of when the going gets tough bait.

Wasn't that like a 5ft or less rod? And whirley bee's don't catch fish just forget all about those
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

5. Member
    Loved the whirlybee and used it for sunfish in my local river. Still have one or two in a Charlie Brewer Kit my wife bought me years ago
    Red Sox in 6!

Quote Originally Posted by Imavol View Post
    Wasn't that like a 5ft or less rod? And whirley bee's don't catch fish just forget all about those
    I have two of the Skyline rod brand versions of Slider rods. They are 4' 10"
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    I was surprised to see that the Charlie brewer slider baits are still manufactured and sold. I remember seeing them advertised in field and steam and outdoor life. Of course now they are touted as "perfect for forward facing sonar" which is no surprise. I'm not sure the slider technique is really unique anymore.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie74133 View Post
    I was surprised to see that the Charlie brewer slider baits are still manufactured and sold. I remember seeing them advertised in field and steam and outdoor life. Of course now they are touted as "perfect for forward facing sonar" which is no surprise. I'm not sure the slider technique is really unique anymore.
    Maybe not unique, but very effective.