300xs Smartcraft and Analog Gauges with AGI help

2018 300xs 1E053655.

Im in the final stage of updating my boat from from a 1997 Mercury 225 Promax to a 2018 Mercury 300xs.

I installed a Garmin 743xsv MFD and also installed the Mercury SmartCraft Connect single helm unit P/N 8M01753594. I updated the SmartCraft Connect module through the SmartCraft Connect App on my phone and also set it up for my 300xs engine and entered my serial number 1E053655. Everything there works as it should other than I have no water pressure reading. The motor does have the digital water pressure sending unit installed. The more I'm thinking about it maybe it is as simple as selecting a different gauge type through the Garmin such as "coolant pressure" vs "water pressure". Any advice there would be appreciated.

Now for the analog side of things. I have a mechanical water pressure gauge that reads pressure with just the normal water tube that is Tee'd off under the cowl so the Digital pressure sending unit can be used as well. The mechanical water pressure gauge works just fine so I know I do have water pressure. I have the Mercury Analog Gauge Interface AGI box 8M0099687 connected as it should be to feed a signal to my analog tach, trim gauge, and temp gauge. The 300xs does have the digital trim sending unit installed as well and reads through the Garmin. My analog tach, trim gauge, and temp gauge do not read at all. The gauges have power. That tach goes through it's normal start up needle sweep but that's all it does. When the motor is running there is no reading. Am I missing something simple? I'm stumped. Thanks for any help and advice

2. Member
    Update: in the Garmin the only option to choose from that makes sense is water pressure. So I guess that doesn't work for whatever reason through my SmartCraft system.

3. Member
    Does anyone know anyone I could contact and bounce this issue off of? Maybe a dealer somewhere that deals with setups like this? Thanks again

4. Member
    DON may know he be around this week sometime
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    DON may know he be around this week sometime
    Awesome! It's looking like I got the digital water pressure figured out on the Garmin. There is a Coolant Pressure option but it is under the "Engine" drop down menu and not under the "Pressure" drop down menu.

As far as the AGI box to get the analog gauges to function... I still am in the dark

6. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You do not need/require an AGI for analog instruments. Simply need the analog instrument harness from J-box to the Instruments.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You do not need/require an AGI for analog instruments. Simply need the analog instrument harness from J-box to the Instruments.
    Even with having digital senders on the motor for my Smartcraft connect module? If so that's a easy fix I will have to order a harness and unplug the AGI box then.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The ONLY reason you would need one would be to translate Digital Trim or Digital Fuel signals (where you had installed a digital trim sender, or a Fuel/Oil harness).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    The ONLY reason you would need one would be to translate Digital Trim or Digital Fuel signals (where you had installed a digital trim sender, or a Fuel/Oil harness).
    Installed the analog instrument harness from the junction box and I still have no working analog gauges. AGI box also didn't work. I'm not sure what the missing link is here? I might just have to suck it up and throw smart craft gauges in this thing.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Is the Junction Box connected to the keyswitch harness?

12. Member
    Is the Junction Box connected to the keyswitch harness?
    The junction box is connected to the main 14pin harness. And then the analog gauge harness that plugs into the junction box is wired to the correct gauges and also has the 12V switched power lead hooked up along with the ground. The 12v switched power source is good because the tach cycles it's normal needle sweep when turning the key to the "on" position. But the tach and water temp gauges are not receiving a singal.

Could the brand new mercury adapter cable I have from the junction box to my analog gauge harness be bad? I needed a adapter cable from the junction box to the AGI and also for this analog harness since it won't just plug in due to the female to female plugs.

Maybe I have the wrong adapter cable? It seems odd to not have the AGI or regular analog harness to work at all

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's clarify some items- is your Smartcraft Connect mounted directly to the ENGINE, or at the HELM (plugged into the Junction Box)?

I suspect you have no info getting to the J-box... snap some pictures of it/wiring, as well as the SC Connect/wiring.

14. Member
    Let's clarify some items- is your Smartcraft Connect mounted directly to the ENGINE, or at the HELM (plugged into the Junction Box)?

I suspect you have no info getting to the J-box... snap some pictures of it/wiring, as well as the SC Connect/wiring.
    My Smartcraft connect is the helm unit and is plugged into the junction box. The smartcraft connect works great, I have all the engine data on my Garmin.

My old school Livorsi analog gauges are the issue, I can't get them to receive a signal.