Biltmore trip - area lakes

Wife wants to hit Biltmore this fall. Like to bring boat along to fish a few days as well.

I see a few lakes, some relatively small. Any recommendations to share?

ive been to Builtmore 1x...i'm good...
    not familiar with any lakes in that area, however Lake James isn't too far...sorry i'm not much help...being that Asheville is in the NC mountains, we dont get up there for fishing too much....
    id suggest lake norman if you willing to drive a couple hours East...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

3. Member
    I think they have a bass pond on the property. Non-boating.

4. Member
    You will have to drive a little ways to get to boatable water. Youl could book a trip or rent a kayak and fish the french broad. If the water is clear and the flow is down it can be fun. But all it takes is someone pissing in it upstream to muddy it up.

5. Member
    Jocassee in SC or Smith Mountain in VA……probably the closest.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

6. Member
    How's fishing in Fontana? I'd guess it to be the same distance from Asheville at Jocassee. Lake James is probably the closest major Lake.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    Jocassee in SC or Smith Mountain in VA……probably the closest.

smith mountain is a 5 hour drive from Asheville lol and jocassee is 2.5 hours from Asheville

8. Member
    If you stay close or near Fontana lake (bryson city or sylva), you are close enough to do biltmore on a day trip, then fish the other days. depending on the time of the year, the leaves and scenery should be very good (along with the fishing). If you do plan on fishing, be prepared for deep water and crystal clear water.

Fontana has gotten a lot better over the last few years as the spots have increased in size and population. still a decent population of smallmouth and largemouth too.

Other lakes that are within an hour of you if you stay in bryson city or sylva are bear lake, glenville, and santeelah. a little over an hour away would be lake hiwassee which is a hidden gem in my opinion. lake chatuge is hiwassee's neighboring lake which has some massive spotted bass in it. As others have mentioned, Jocassee and some of the north georgia lakes are an hour or two away as well.

What route are you going to use coming and going, and how many days? Don't overlook the lakes around Bristol TN/VA if you are coming that way. If you're coming down I-77 then it will be Norman that time of year by a bunch IF you have several days you are going to be down. It's a shame Lake Lure is not accommodating
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended