Thread: Pro xs Harness

Pro xs Harness

2022 250 pro xs
    12500033A / 3B264559

How hard is it to replace the harness that plugs to the engine and up to the controls? Is this different for each brand as in do they chop up the mercury harness to fit different boats or can I simply un plug and pull out the old and install same merc harness and plug and play?

If it a like for like swap it would be relatively simple. The hardest part is snaking the new harness through from the helm back toward the rear of your boat and through the cutout for your hose or sleeve. The end part of the harness that mates up with the engine is rather large and bulky in comparison to the diameter of the cable so it can get hung up in tight spaces. Should be doable with some patience.
    Mark M.
    1998 Champion 181 / Mercury 4S 150 hp PRO XS

"You have two ears and one mouth, use them in those proportions"
    "Eat your breakfast alone, have lunch with friends and give your dinner to the poor"

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Specific to Mercury, approx. 2005 and later.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    That's my worry, getting the plug that goes to the engine they everything from the hand controls to the motor. Does anyone know if the little front left side plate on the starboard lower cowling comes off behind where the rigging tube mates up? I wonder if the big plug can be removed and reinstalled on the wires? Probably not but man that plug is big.
    Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    That's my worry, getting the plug that goes to the engine they everything from the hand controls to the motor. Does anyone know if the little front left side plate on the starboard lower cowling comes off behind where the rigging tube mates up? I wonder if the big plug can be removed and reinstalled on the wires? Probably not but man that plug is big.
    Thanks all
    The rigging tube threads into a plate that is secured to the cowling with two screws. In between the plate and the cowling is a rubber grommet that is used to secure the throttle cable, shift cable, fuel line etc. You should be able to remove the two screws and wiggle the plate and grommet away from the cowling that will give you a sense of how much room you have to work with. Keep in mind that there are two ends of the harness: one end has the big plug and the other end has all the connectors for the key switch, gauges etc. If the plug end looks to be tight you can always thread the harness in the opposite direction using the smaller end of the cable working from motor toward console.
    Mark M.
    1998 Champion 181 / Mercury 4S 150 hp PRO XS

"You have two ears and one mouth, use them in those proportions"
    "Eat your breakfast alone, have lunch with friends and give your dinner to the poor"

6. Member
    Will I have to do anything with the ecm after installing new harness or just plug up and go? Recalibrate throttle etc.....

Also does anyone know how the rigging door comes off the lower side cowl?

You will have to disconnect everything from engine to get that plug out of there,petty sure would have to empty rigging tube as well, don't think it will go through there with cables and fuel line,maybe though,you'll be fighting it the whole way
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-action View Post
    You will have to disconnect everything from engine to get that plug out of there,petty sure would have to empty rigging tube as well, don't think it will go through there with cables and fuel line,maybe though,you'll be fighting it the whole way
    Yeah I can't wait

9. Member
    Anyone know how the rigging door comes off?

Take the bolts out of the the cover where the rigging tube goes in. Pull it back,pull the rubber gasket( can't remember proper terminology for it). You'll see a pin under the gasket,pull that pin out( tough to pull out sometimes) pull out,the access door will swing open from front to back and you can remove.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

11. Member
    Running that very large diameter 14 pin main wire harness connector through my boat was the hardest part of the repower.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That 14 pin connector "can" be de-pinned, but it's a real PIA to do it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor