Thread: Xpress damage

Xpress damage

My son Jake has an X21. Trailer came apart on the highway and tore the hull up pretty bad. Have been told by the shop and someone at Express that the hull needs to be separated, the foam pulled out in order to be repaired. They recommended not repairing it at all. Insurance company is now saying they're going to cut out pieces and weld on patches. Need to figure out how to fight this as that is not the correct way to repair an aluminum boat. Any suggestions on where to start?
    Last edited by bkeenom; 04-26-2024 at 09:00 AM.

2. Member
    Hate to hear that for your son! Am I understanding it right that the manufacturer is saying it can't or shouldn't be repaired? If that's the case, I'd be getting in touch with an attorney. I'm guessing the boat has a 250 on it and I would think a welded patch job wouldn't be structurally sound on a high performance boat. Good luck and keep us posted. What insurance company is it?
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

3. #FRB
    Sadly, most of the people at the insurance company probably wouldn't know the difference between an X21 with a 250 and a jon boat with a 9.9. They think "fishing" and think of people in a flat bottom with bobbers all around. Time to get Xpress and a good lawyer to fight for you.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

4. Member
    Yes it has a 250 and Xpress said in their opinion it should not be repaired and if it is it must be done from the inside. Dealer said it must be totaled and they won't repair it. We have an attorney lined up and may have to take the claim to appraisal. The insurance company is Chubb along with Ace American. It is an agreed value policy.

5. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Dang Bobby, hate to hear that. I think you are going about it the right way. Good luck
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

6. Fishing is a Passion
    Is the policy ACV or Replacement cost. If it is Replacement cost, the policy owes to put you back in the condition you were prior to the loss. If you have a repair facility and dealer advising you that the boat cannot be repaired. Then the Insurance Company owes to replace the boat at its value. If you have a State Insurance commissioner then you have an avenue to submit a complaint, might be cheaper than a lawyer.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

7. Member
    Have an agreed value policy. Also have lots of time. He is using my boat for the Toyotas and all others since I am dedicated to golf this year.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bkeenom View Post
    Yes it has a 250 and Xpress said in their opinion it should not be repaired and if it is it must be done from the inside. Dealer said it must be totaled and they won't repair it. We have an attorney lined up and may have to take the claim to appraisal. The insurance company is Chubb along with Ace American. It is an agreed value policy.

I wish y'all luck, has to be a sickening feeling! You didn't say but are they gonna repair the trailer or replace it? Out of curiosity, did e have the standard trailer or the upgraded trailer? When I was huntin for my boat I felt like the standard trailer looked kind cheap so I found a X19 with the upgraded trailer.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Koma View Post
    I wish y'all luck, has to be a sickening feeling! You didn't say but are they gonna repair the trailer or replace it? Out of curiosity, did e have the standard trailer or the upgraded trailer? When I was huntin for my boat I felt like the standard trailer looked kind cheap so I found a X19 with the upgraded trailer.
    Trailer paid out in full. Upgraded aluminum trailer.

10. Member
    Dang, I made a trip to Toledo Bend this past Spring and I lost a nut with a hand full loose. I was about to pick up my boat and a leaf spring came undone. Found the bolt nearby but not the nut. No damage to my boat thankfully but I did redo all of the nuts on the trailer. They "supposed" to lock and not back out but they did. I put lock washers with the new lock nuts just incase. Sorry to hear about your situation. Hopefully this helps others from having these issues.
    I am motivated by the fear of being average.