BBC SPONSOR

Rainshadow Rod Blank Quality

We hope you enjoy Batson's take on rod blank quality. A BIG THANK YOU to the rod building community for supporting our mission over the past 25 years!

The Best Fishing Rods Start Here: www.BatsonEnterprises.com - www.youtube.com/batsonenterprises - Instagram: @teamrainshadow - Facebook: Batson Enterprises

2. Member
    Built a Revelation 6’6” 2wt fly rod for brook trout and it’s fantastic. One of the smoothest casting rods I’ve used. I’m a big fan of ALPS products too
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    If the Immortal blanks were raw carbon and not painted, I feel like they would sell a lot more. Great blanks, just don't particularly like the color... or most painted blanks... Limiting in my opinion.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

4. Member
    The RX8 blanks have been that color for close to 20 years, and it goes with everything, unlike some of the other colored blanks.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    From time to time we have actually considered a change in color for that series, and we like input from builders. Please add replies with your color suggestions for the Immortal RX8's. Matte black, raw sanded graphite, dark green gloss? Let's hear it!
    The Best Fishing Rods Start Here: www.BatsonEnterprises.com - www.youtube.com/batsonenterprises - Instagram: @teamrainshadow - Facebook: Batson Enterprises

6. Member
    I hate painted blanks. Maybe let the builders do the painting, if that’s what they want.

7. Member
    I've built on 3 Immortal blanks and they are awesome blanks. But while I like the color they currently are, like jbabin76, I think the color limits their sales. I know I personally would buy them more often if there were a raw sanded graphite version available.

I think the color is very limiting from a rod aesthetics standpoint. And while I've built on a couple of Revelation blanks, and think that the satin black coloring provides a much broader spectrum when it comes to rod aesthetics, my vote would be for raw and sanded. Just like the RX 10s.

As far as the topic of the thread. I've built on 5 different manufacturers blanks, and Rainshadow blanks are by far, the highest quality blanks I've built on. Always if not arrow straight, they're very close to being so. Blank dimensions and weights are either spot on, or are very close to those published for the specific blank. And if you built on a specific blank one year, and decided you'd like to build on the same blank a year later .... those blanks are going to feel and CCS test, very close to each other.

Rainshadow blanks are consistent in every aspect, and are at or right next to the top, to comparable series from other manufacturers.

Love me some Rainshadow blanks

8. Member
    A gloss forest green or sage green blank would be awesome
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

9. Member
    Been a while, but besides not yet seeing a wrap that doesn't go good with that color, the Ti coated guides matched up very nice on my XST1084F I built many years ago.

I prefer the bare blanks / sanded / not painted. Most rods I have had built on a rainshadow blank are very clean this way.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Batson-Brands View Post
    From time to time we have actually considered a change in color for that series, and we like input from builders. Please add replies with your color suggestions for the Immortal RX8's. Matte black, raw sanded graphite, dark green gloss? Let's hear it!
    It's hard for me to envision color suggestions or recommendations with your current business model of using retailers.... if you had direct sales similar to most of your competition, it would make sense... you'd be forcing your retailers to pick colors which historically doesn't seem like it's gone well. But, raw carbon should be the standard and any color variations should be up sell opportunities for Batson/Retailers. Lot of great colors out there from Rod Forge and what RodGeeks offered previously. My RX10 builds look fantastic, my Immortal, meh...

12. Member
    I only build on the RX 10 blanks for myself now. I am a big fan. I build Revs, RX 10’s and Immortals for customers. Although I still like the Immortal blanks, I dislike that painted finish and would rather see a sanded blank finish like the RX 10. Very good customer service, as Mike and Kerry have helped me out on the phone, and email.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Seems like there's a pretty strong preference for raw graphite blanks these days. We appreciate everyone that's provided feedback so far. Thanks!

14. Member
    My preference is raw or matte black but I've built on some Immortals and I don't have a problem with the color at all. It's pretty neutral and has held up so far without flaking. Never really anyone complain about Croix SCV's in either the brown (old) or green.

The RX10's (Eternity) are just raw black if I'm not mistaken (they're definitely black). Don't have them in front of me but I built a few last year ETEC72MH's and ETES610MXF and they came out really nice.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    My preference is raw or matte black but I've built on some Immortals and I don't have a problem with the color at all. It's pretty neutral and has held up so far without flaking. Never really anyone complain about Croix SCV's in either the brown (old) or green.

The RX10's (Eternity) are just raw black if I'm not mistaken (they're definitely black). Don't have them in front of me but I built a few last year ETEC72MH's and ETES610MXF and they came out really nice.
    They are raw carbon. No paint

16. Member
    Yeah, the RX10's are a raw finish. The Revelations are black.