Tell me about the Butler Chain....

Headed there for the first time in a couple weeks - any ideas? TIA -Dave
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

2. Member
    Clearwater. I do best in Lake Butler or Down. Look for offshore grass. Worms, senkos, flukes, jerk baits and weighted swim baits like a skinny dipper. It’s more of a recreational chain….So heads up there will be 1 million jet skis and water skiers. Let’s not forget the people cruising around in circles in pontoon boats as well.
    Brad Krone

3. Member
    Get there early, RD Keene Park parking lot fills up every day.

Nice chain of lakes with good year round bassin. More of a numbers chain these days. Each lake is different, some with much less development. Personally, I love fishing shallow & fishing docks…..there are docks galore & plenty of pads, kissimmee grass & SAV.

This time of year you won’t have too much recreational traffic on weekdays….but the 2 lane ramp will get busy around 1400 hrs.

Shoot Chuck Pippin an email…..he is an awesome guide in Orlando and guides the Butler Chain when conditions are right….he’ll willingly give you an idea of current conditions and patterns….enough to give you a start anyway.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post

Nice chain of lakes with good year round bassin. More of a numbers chain these days. Each lake is different, some with much less development. Personally, I love fishing shallow & fishing docks…..there are docks galore & plenty of pads, kissimmee grass & SAV.

This time of year you won’t have too much recreational traffic on weekdays….but the 2 lane ramp will get busy around 1400 hrs.

Shoot Chuck Pippin an email…..he is an awesome guide in Orlando and guides the Butler Chain when conditions are right….he’ll willingly give you an idea of current conditions and patterns….enough to give you a start anyway.

I have guided for Mr. Pippin before - that's an excellent idea - thanks Lightning!
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

5. Member
    Will be tons of boats out on the weekend this time of year. Was there 2 months ago and ramp was INSANE with jet ski's people holding up ramp, pure nonsense. Best time is to go during the winter when its windy and cloudy.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

6. Member
    No worries….Chuck is great!

Consider Johns Lake too….single lane ramp but i have never had an issue on weekdays.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post

"This time of year you won’t have too much recreational traffic on weekdays".... LOL, Let me know how that works out for you. If you go, fish a drop shot in the deep hair grass lines. The deeper fish don't seem to mind the Donzis and jet ski biker gangs as much.

8. Member
    I have caught a lot of fish on a rattle trap on Butler. I cruise and find them on my graph and then throw traps into the herd. I also fish the shallow banks grassline and docks with a wacky rig.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.