Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I fished yesterday and today in pretty much the conditions on a good sized lake. I took it fairly easy. More than anything it made the lake fish smaller than normal.
    Yeah that just a spring day in Texas on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by WAWI View Post

Seems like I say it every spring but this year has been windy as hell. I think it's hit 30mph my last 8-10 trips out. Not even sure I'd know what to do on a calm day....

Seems like I say it every spring but this year has been windy as hell. I think it's hit 30mph my last 8-10 trips out. Not even sure I'd know what to do on a calm day....
    Ky lake gets insane, only time I’ve really feared for my life in a boat. Doesn’t help having to stay in boat channels and not being able to quarter the waves. Ar least on south end where I fish it.

But being in troughs and having the crest above me head doesn’t thrill me.
    Last edited by cubswin; 04-28-2024 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    Ky lake gets insane, only time I’ve really feared for my life in a boat. Doesn’t help having to stay in boat channels and not being able to quarter the waves. Ar least on south end where I fish it.

But being in troughs and having the crest above me head doesn’t thrill me.

We have some big lakes here that get nasty....Rayburn, Toledo, Texoma etc. The one I was on is decent sized and gets pretty big in wind. I just move around slow and try not to get in a hurry. Even on the others I listed in heavy wind. Same deal. I just try to be safe as I can be.

5. Member
    The orthopedic back surgeons in Kentucky say you should run wide open.

We have some big lakes here that get nasty....Rayburn, Toledo, Texoma etc. The one I was on is over 36,000 acres and gets pretty big in wind. I just move around slow and try not to get in a hurry.
    I’m sure they do, wish I lived closer so I could fish them.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    I sure do hope that the folks in charge of this tournament today uses some common sense in letting all these fisherman go this morning, it’s gusting to 35 mph out of the south and that my friends is bashing Ky Dam!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    what weather app is that picture from?

8. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cards21 View Post
    Roughest lake I’ve ever been on. Was there during a B.A.S.S. event 35isn years ago. Wind was out of the North though. Crazy things I can still remember but forget what I did a week ago.
    Probably the day I am talking about. Larry Nixon abandoned his boat and several bass guys called for their trailers. Would have been around 1993.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

9. Member
    I got caught on Sam Rayburn in winds like that and I had 6 miles to run to get back to the ramp, that was one scary situation.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

10. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    We fished Ted’s tournament probably in 2008, 2009 ballpark.

It was for Indiana anglers only.

It was brutal!!!’

Lot of the Indiana boaters did not realize how nasty KY can get.

They said 4 boats swamped on day one. Those boats had to be rescued/recovered.

We hurt my partner’s boat on day one, had to use my boat on day two.😂

It was ugly, but we finished with two good days.

11. Member
    KY lake gets crazy with wind. Not sure if its lack of depth or the large expanse of ledges etc but it just seems to get way worse than say a Cumberland or Dale. ITs its own little animal.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WAWI View Post
    Yall dont have to deal with 100,000 currents going with the wind though. I will say this the guys didn't have to deal with all that current yesterday, lake just hit summer pool.

13. Member
    WIND COMPASS APP, its really handy app to have pretty much right on!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenn.todd View Post
    what weather app is that picture from?

14. Member
    Perfect nightmare for Ky Lake is 35 out of the north and 100,000 or more going through that dam, sure enough a death warrant.

15. Member
    Just another day on our Lake...

16. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Perfect nightmare for Ky Lake is 35 out of the north and 100,000 or more going through that dam, sure enough a death warrant.
    Used to be something else in those conditions at the Paris landing bridge. A few life’s lost there over the years.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

17. Member
    Some people just don't understand how rough KY Lake can truly get.

18. Member
    Was out Saturday on the big pond. We picked around close and strategically. But yea... Lets just say it was rather nautical. They were biting pretty well.. it's amazing how small it can fish sometimes when the wind gets like that. Really wanted to get out on the river and chase smallies... But mother nature wasn't having any of that.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Dang Rodney I'm going to have Nightmares about that I saw enough scary conditions on my very first trip there that weren't of that proportion. So always figured out the areas where I was going to fish then launch in an area that provided a safe backdoor whenever things changed got to know those LBL Boat Ramps well.

20. Member
    We have some big lakes here that get nasty....Rayburn, Toledo, Texoma etc. The one I was on is decent sized and gets pretty big in wind. I just move around slow and try not to get in a hurry. Even on the others I listed in heavy wind. Same deal. I just try to be safe as I can be.
    I've fished Ky Lake my entire life, I'd say Toledo Bend is every bit as sketchy in a north or south wind. Maybe even more, because of having to navigate in the boat lanes, which are pretty narrow in places. Only been there once, in early spring for 4 days and it was memorable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast