Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Drotto or Ramp N Clamp?

This questions pops up from time to time. I think we have a celar winner.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. #FRB
    Looks like they figured out how to make the Drotto better and then undercut them. Looks like their product is superior and that's what matters most.

And for those who mainly go solo I highly recommend spraying your bunk carpet with some kind of wax or lubricant. I sprayed mine down with ceramic wax several months ago and still no sign of needing to be resprayed.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

3. Member
    I really don’t have a problem with my loading and unloading with regular winch.

4. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    I won't have a boat trailer without a ramp n clamp or trick steps. I've been spoiled just like my spot lock trolling motor has spoiled me on the boat.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

5. Member
    I’ve had a bow buddy on my boat for about 10 years, and because it is now worn out enough, I’m about to order a Ramp ‘n Clamp.
    1985 Skeeter SF-175 & 1985 Evinrude 150 XP (with VRO removed)

It's clearly a sponsored video, not really an unbiased comparison. Not saying one is better/worse than the other, but you need to take these "comparisons" and "reviews" with a grain of salt really.

7. Member
    IDK the Ramp and Clamp - I've heard nothing but good things about it here. I fish solo at least 80 times/year at lakes with primitive launches/no docks, and the Drotto is probably my #1 accessory on the rig (followed closely by the Anchor Rein).

Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    This questions pops up from time to time. I think we have a celar winner.
    Off topic, but why do these youtubers not review and re-shoot sections of videos when they screw up?!
    He clearly winches the boat forward on the trailer several inches - which can change his tongue load substantially. He put a little blurb "I'll have to fix this next time I launch the boat"... but if this is an instructional video, the DIY-handycapped who watch it are being lead astray. Just reshoot that portion of the vid doing it the right way (e.g., put a jack with a board under the bow to lift the boat up and slide the winch post back).

9. Member
    Thanks for sharing: I don't have either on my boats but really like the way the RampNClamp works in that video.

10. Member
    Please provide some feedback after you get it installed and try it out. I may order myself one or two for my river and bass boats. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjue1979 View Post
    I’ve had a bow buddy on my boat for about 10 years, and because it is now worn out enough, I’m about to order a Ramp ‘n Clamp.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    It's clearly a sponsored video, not really an unbiased comparison. Not saying one is better/worse than the other, but you need to take these "comparisons" and "reviews" with a grain of salt really.
    I've never seen a sponsored pro or otherwise mention another companies products by name or provide a link in the description for their competition. I don't think he's sponsored at all.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Same, its a product in which I don't really understand what problem it's solving. Regular winch or not you still have to get out of the boat, go out the trailer and hop on land. This would only save a couple seconds it normally takes to hook a bow strap up.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

13. Member
    I just ordered a ramp and clamp. My problem is I have a boat launch in my subdivision so I’m using what’s around the corner. It’s a tad steep at water level so if I back trailer in to get the eye to the roller then the boat slides back 12” as soon as I cut the throttle. If I stop the trailer a hair shallower then I can’t get the eye closer than 12–18” from the roller. This product should stop me from having to climb out and walk in the water to crank my boat the last 12”. I’m getting too old for that.

14. Member
    I put 1 on my Ranger and it took some modifications to my wench stand to make It work.
    i fish mostly by myself and had the problem of either leaving boat in gear or sliding back if I didn’t.
    i also installed slides on my bunks so it loads and unloads without much or any throttle.
    really do not have to power off trailer, just get in water and push it off.
    loading is great just get on trailer give some throttle until you get it locked in, if it’s not locked when you go to neutral it will slide back on the slides. Just ease it up again.
    at that point I get out and hook strap just for my price of mind. And pull out
    really makes easy doing it yourself.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Same, its a product in which I don't really understand what problem it's solving. Regular winch or not you still have to get out of the boat, go out the trailer and hop on land. This would only save a couple seconds it normally takes to hook a bow strap up.
    It keeps this old man from having to reach way down, or get down on my step to latch and unlatch my boat, which isn't as easy as it used to be since I fish alone
    I also don't have to keep the throttle engaged while I try to do that to keep it from sliding back down, Then have to jump back in the boat to shut the engine off. (Only on some ramps)
    It's one of the best things I have ever added and I will never have another without it.
    2016 Phoenix 618 Pro / Mercury 175 Pro XS

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
    It keeps this old man from having to reach way down, or get down on my step to latch and unlatch my boat, which isn't as easy as it used to be since I fish alone
    I also don't have to keep the throttle engaged while I try to do that to keep it from sliding back down, Then have to jump back in the boat to shut the engine off. (Only on some ramps)
    It's one of the best things I have ever added and I will never have another without it.
    While I’m not old yet, about 10 years ago I was caught in a storm that was brewing and waiting in line to get to the dock to get my truck and trailer to load the boat on. Since others were monkeying around while the winds got bad enough for water to start coming into the boat, and the game wardens had to help people get their boats loaded because they were taking too long. Finally, I was able to get to the dock to give the key to my truck to one of the wardens, and when he backed the trailer in, I just drove up onto the trailer until I hear the Bow Buddy latch, and I had him start pulling out of the water while I reached over the bow to put the winch strap on. Shortly afterwards, the bucket falls out of the bottom of the bucket.

My Ramp N Clamp should arrive tomorrow since I need to replace that Bow Buddy.
    1985 Skeeter SF-175 & 1985 Evinrude 150 XP (with VRO removed)

17. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Instead of climbing in and out of the boat 4 times I only have to do it twice now AND I no longer how to use a long rope to get the boat in the water. The problem with my Xpress trailer is in stock form my 115 won't push the boat up to the roller if I back in where it needs to be. If backed in deep enough to power up to the roller the boat loads crooked EVERY TIME because of prop torque and steering to counter it. To fix this problem I sprayed the carpeted bunks with ceramic wax and that made loading and unloading way easier but had to have the motor in gear to get the winch strap hooked and unhooked. While this wasn't really a problem for a physically fit guy in his 40's it's still a way for me to make life easier. It's one of those things that you don't realize how much you'll truly enjoy it until you use it yourself.

When the lake was down I had to back the trailer in where the bunks on the left were out of the water and bunks on the right were "kinda" in the water. Didn't take much to power up my slick bunks and when the latch caught my boat was on there straight as an arrow. Only real drama from that retrieve was my engine was screaming to get my trailer tires over where one tire dropped off the end of the ramp (2wd truck with highway gears). Those who have ever fished Lake Maumelle know the ramps there suck and there's nothing level about them even when the lake is up and the trailer tires stay on the ramp.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

I’ve had these on my radar for a couple years, think I’m going to order. What I just saw is weird when you Google ramp and clamp there is a ramp and clamp website that has the product with orange Stoltz material and no wheel unlike the model in the video posted for sale. Then on the boat 2 trailer website they have the models like in the video with the black polyurethane material and the roller wheel. Not much info on the first site, wondering if they are trying to copy.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

19. Member
    My understanding is....

Drotto is the original builder of the device.

Boat2Trailer was a reseller.

There was some kind of pissing match.

Boat2Trailer is no longer associated with Drotto Latch.

For years now up north, with the heavier V bottom style boats, most all use the Drotto latch with the larger bow roller.

The larger V bottom keels would miss that small roller on a ramp and clamp almost every time.

Take it for what it is worth.

Yes I agree, the video looks like an info commercial for ramp and clamp.

20. Member
    Most of the ramps I use are a little stepper. I launch alone most of the time. I have a hotfoot so before installing the Drotto the boat would slide back about 8 inches when I cut the throttle. Being an old fart cranking the winch was not much fun. The Drotto solved the problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast