Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Honda dirt bike markup. Yikes

Called the closest Honda dealer. Asked for out-the-door total price on a CFR125F. Retail is $3499. He called back pretty quickly with $5184. I asked him to explain and first thing he said was $900 prep/assembly, 300 destination yada yada.

I declined.

Called the next closest. $4392.

Can hardly believe the add-on costs. Maybe we don’t really need one.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

2. Member
    Went through the same thing last fall with buying a Pioneer 700 UTV. Ended up driving and extra 1.5 hours each way to say some coin. Dealers are ridiculous and greedy. Wish I would have waited until now, the dealers are starting to flood with inventory.

3. Member
    Yeah but a kid is only that age once. Some of the best memories I had are riding dirt bikes with neighborhood friends. Nowadays kids are addicted to video games and won’t play outside.

Buy that kid a new dirt bike, you won’t regret it.

4. Member
    I just can't get over that 250 and 450 bikes like a R, R-S, or RX are about $8.7k- $10k for a dirt bike. I bought my Honda Talon 1000R Live Valve in 2021 for sticker because they had it in stock and weren't budging, kind of a "we've got one good luck finding another" at the time.

5. Member
    Used, used, did I mention used????
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    You mean clapped out? I'm very reluctant to buy used off road equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    That is a very solid reason to stay away from used.

Flip side is if the kid really wants one and it does need some love I would think ( caveate, I don’t have kids) it would be a great way to teach mechanical skills and ingenuity. My dad was generous enough to buy me a CT70 for my 13th birthday. When I floated a valve and roached the piston and cylinder it was up to me to earn the money to buy the parts and rebuild it. IMHO, at least for me, that was a valuable lesson.

8. Member
    Winning winner chicken dinner

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
    That is a very solid reason to stay away from used.

Flip side is if the kid really wants one and it does need some love I would think ( caveate, I don’t have kids) it would be a great way to teach mechanical skills and ingenuity. My dad was generous enough to buy me a CT70 for my 13th birthday. When I floated a valve and roached the piston and cylinder it was up to me to earn the money to buy the parts and rebuild it. IMHO, at least for me, that was a valuable lesson.
    I will admit that I love watching dirt bike restoration videos on YouTube and thinking "that looks easy, I should find one and do that". Not saying I wouldn't but more than likely won't yet would love to do so

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    The bike he is want in his pretty easy and cheap to work on. At least they used to be.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    The bike he is want in his pretty easy and cheap to work on. At least they used to be.
    Cheap and easy to work on describes nothing that I am aware of these days.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    Cheap and easy to work on describes nothing that I am aware of these days.
    They're still air cooled with a rear drum brake so in this case yea, it's doable but for the price buy one new except for the mark up.

13. Member
    You blow up one of the new four strokes and it's expensive. I have a couple of friends racing GNCC's and Enduro's, they ride KTM and Husky 300's. It is amazing how much new bikes cost these days. My last new KTM 250 was 6K, they are like twice that now.

14. Member
    Did a quick search on Honda of Russellville and Honda Ozarks in Springfield, MO both have them in stock with a disclaimer of contact for price so apparently that model is seeing a markup for some reason. Might be a "grow the sport" thing like we're seeing in bass fishing.

15. Member
    Capture.JPG
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Bad ass all the way around, and yes that also includes the guy in the picture.

17. Member
    That is a ridiculous mark up for an MSRP of 3499. Sounds like the dealer doesn't want to move any inventory.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    That is a ridiculous mark up for an MSRP of 3499. Sounds like the dealer doesn't want to move any inventory.
    Looking at the two biggest Honda Powersports dealers in my area, all of their new inventory online wants you to "contact for price" which I didn't see in 2021 when I bought my Talon. When I bought they advertised MSRP that matched Honda's website and that is what you paid, there was no negotiations especially because they actually had one when a lot of other dealers didn't. For some reason this has me a little intrigued especially since it's a pretty common bike and not a high-end competition model. Out of curiosity I checked a few Yamaha dealerships and they are advertising their new inventory at MSRP and no markup.

19. Member
    They do that with vehicles too, our local dealer had “market adjustment” added to the msrp of their Hyundai Santa Fe. We got it from somewhere else that didn’t do that bulls**t and got it $8k cheaper. I’ve seen boat dealers do something similar they will say the msrp is way higher than it actually is, and then post the price of the boat making it seem like they’re saving you money.

Dealers make between 100 to 200 dollars if they sell it at msrp plus destination charge hence the fees. Just looking at Hondas website they charge 300 destination so you are at 3799 before taxes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast