Thread: Athens Greece

Athens Greece

Way back in 1971 I was on a Mediterranean cruise onboard the USS FDR. We made quite a few ports of call on mainland Greece and the Islands.
    My friends and I first visited the Fleamarket, it was the largest one that I had been to. There was a lot of WW2 items and much more cultural items.
    It might be, because I am Greek, but I really enjoyed the people and the history.
    If any of you had been to the Fleamarket in Athens, I would like to hear about your experience. Spain was another great place.
    I've been to 23 different countries during my time in the Navy.

2. Member
    Athens in the spring of 1980 on the USS Forrestal still have a soapstone chess set I bought there. Every port I went to I looked for small local restaurants to eat at. I’m really partial to the food of Spain maybe because it was the closest to American cuisine.
    John the Garage Doorman

3. Member
    Was there last summer for a week. Visited several flea markets and lots of antique stores. Was looking for some authentic komboloi beads. If you found some with some history, they were steep. I also collect beer advertising pieces from around the world and found a cool Fix beer tray.

I have travelled fairly extensively, and Greece holds a pretty special place for me. Amazing country with perhaps unrivaled history.

4. Member
    I thought maybe you were going to say that a kid introduced himself as Crestliner15...

My cousin and his wife were in Greece a couple of years ago and had a great time. They are planning on going back.

One of my college buddies is Greek (Grandparents immigrated in the 70's), offered to take me over there and find me a hot Greek wife to bring back with me.

I was there in 72 onboard the USS Springfield, CLG-7. Great food, and friendly people, never made it to the flea market.
    2019 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2

6. Member
    I was there in1960 on the CAG2 then you could see all the ruins before they fell apart. We had a great time there even went to Sparta for a town festival

7. Member
    I am heading to Athens in August. Your experience sounds pretty cool. Doubt it'll be the same now.

8. Member
    The only flea market I have been to in Athens was in Alabama.
    Had some good deals on 1990 Era depth finders.

I was there 71 and 73 on the USS Independence. VA-12. We spent a lot of time in the eastern Med. Athens was a good port. We were there for the 73 Egypt /Israel war. Spent a lot of time at sea during that conflict.

Greece was an amazing place. The history is really cool. This was a view from my hotel in Athens.
    Screenshot_20240429_150455_Photos.jpg

This was the view from another hotel near Patra.
    Screenshot_20240429_150638_Photos.jpg

Would love to go back!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner16 View Post
    Way back in 1971 I was on a Mediterranean cruise onboard the USS FDR. We made quite a few ports of call on mainland Greece and the Islands.
    My friends and I first visited the Fleamarket, it was the largest one that I had been to. There was a lot of WW2 items and much more cultural items.
    It might be, because I am Greek, but I really enjoyed the people and the history.
    If any of you had been to the Fleamarket in Athens, I would like to hear about your experience. Spain was another great place.
    I've been to 23 different countries during my time in the Navy.

I've been to Corfu and Rhodes (3x) each. Loved every minute! I did 2 med cruises while aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71. But on a totally different note - I see you're in Uniontown Ohio!! I grew up in Canal Fulton, lived in Massillon after I got out and then lived back in CF for the last 4 years!!!! Well, that is until Feb of this year when my wife and I moved to Cape Coral Florida!!!!!
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

12. Member
    We always went out of the way restaurants, excellent food. We would eat dinner on the roof of our favorite restaurant and watch the lights come at Acropolis and the Parthenon.
    I took my friend to the little Island that my grand parents were from. It was fantastic! We met my cousins and went to festival on top of cliffs looking over the Mediterranean!

13. Member
    Was in Rhodes for an extended stay in 1968 when the USS Bache DD-470 went aground close to the harbor. We were there to take off security materials and munitions' for the guns. Was pretty good duty as if not on one of the two ships we were ashore on liberty.