Wire size question

I am hooking a 106SV / LVS34 up and the instructions say use 8 Ga wire for any run over 15 feet I’m at 20 feet. I put a volt meter on the lithium battery and got a reading of 12.98 then I did the end with the bus fuse holder and got 12.97 do you think I need to change the wire from a 10 Ga to an 8 Ga or will I be ok? Thanks for all help.

If all your running is the 106sv and the lvs 34 you will be fine

Run the GLS 10 black box off another feed with a switch because it will draw power even when the 106sv is off and you don't want to drain your battery
    "The handicapped angler"

10ga to EACH unit will be fine. As said, switch on the Black Box line.

4. Member
    Was the 106sv and lvs34 hooked up, powered on, and brightness at 100% on the 106sv when you measured 12.97v at the bus fuse holder?

Voltage drop should be measured when loaded. General consensus is to target 3% or less drop, which would mean you would want to see 12.59v or higher at the bus fuse holder when loaded if you are seeing 12.98v at the lithium battery. It wouldn't be particularly problematic if you saw slightly more than 3% drop due to you having a lithium battery versus lead acid or AGM, as lithium batteries have a higher base voltage with much better resiliency to voltage drop during depletion and with a load applied.

5. Member
    First, with 20 feet of wire you should have a fuse or current limiter at or near the source. Second, the fuse will normally drop a tiny amount of voltage with the circuit loaded. Third, as previously stated you must measure voltage drop with the circuit connected to a load with the power on.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    First, with 20 feet of wire you should have a fuse or current limiter at or near the source. Second, the fuse will normally drop a tiny amount of voltage with the circuit loaded. Third, as previously stated you must measure voltage drop with the circuit connected to a load with the power on.
    Voltage drop across the fuse at both locations (source and device/load)?

7. Member
    I didn’t check it with a load. Thanks for all the help sounds like I have some test to run lol.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msupc View Post
    Voltage drop across the fuse at both locations (source and device/load)?
    The fuse at the source (Usually pretty large) will probably not drop much, it's just there to protect the wire. The one at the unit (usually a cartrige) is unimportant as far as volt drop, the manufacturer factored that in.