Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Gary himself wanted to deliver the message

Post by WB Staff » Thu May 02, 2024 4:49 am
    Dobyns Rods is now part of the GSM Outdoors Family, and we could not be more excited!! - Gary himself wanted to deliver the message and let everyone know this is only going to be a positive for the Dobyns brand, the products, and the loyal customers. "The difference with GSM is the leadership – it’s the place to be,” says Gary Dobyns of Dobyns Rods. “The company is run by friends that, over the years, I’ve learned to fully trust with the growth and expansion of my brand. I am confident they will elevate it to new heights. I will remain involved with the company’s product development initiatives. GSM is making all the right moves, quickly becoming a force to be reckoned with in the fishing industry and they are just getting started!”

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjvana37 View Post
    Gary himself wanted to deliver the message

Post by WB Staff » Thu May 02, 2024 4:49 am
    Dobyns Rods is now part of the GSM Outdoors Family, and we could not be more excited!! - Gary himself wanted to deliver the message and let everyone know this is only going to be a positive for the Dobyns brand, the products, and the loyal customers. "The difference with GSM is the leadership – it’s the place to be,” says Gary Dobyns of Dobyns Rods. “The company is run by friends that, over the years, I’ve learned to fully trust with the growth and expansion of my brand. I am confident they will elevate it to new heights. I will remain involved with the company’s product development initiatives. GSM is making all the right moves, quickly becoming a force to be reckoned with in the fishing industry and they are just getting started!”

What else would you expect him to say?

3. Member
    Nooooooooooooooooooo. Literally my favorite rods, please don’t ruin them

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    Exactly

5. Member
    Right…

6. Member
    How much funnier would it be if he released this,

"You know what, I've had it dealing with you whiney bass fisherman. I'm taking my payday and heading to the lake. No doubt they are going to cut quality, and I don't care. Buy another brand"

2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

The pessimism around here is ridiculous. Gary said he’s trusting long time friends who are outdoorsmen. That doesn’t sound like selling out his reputation to me.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    The pessimism around here is ridiculous. Gary said he’s trusting long time friends who are outdoorsmen. That doesn’t sound like selling out his reputation to me.
    I'm just joking. To be honest I haven't seen any issues with what GSM has done lately. I think they have released a few duds in the yamamoto line, but they are trying out new product much quicker than they did in the old days and they have released some good plastics too. As far as dobyns and phenix, we have tons of choices in the rod industry. If they go downhill you have dozens of others to choose from so it's no biggie.

9. Member
    Exactly, Gary Yamamoto had been approached by dozens of companies that wanted to buy him out but he was afraid they would ruin the product line. He sold out to GSM on the premise that they would invest into the company to make it better. I expect that a man like Gary Dobyns wanted to feel that his legacy of fine fishing rods will continue.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    Exactly, Gary Yamamoto had been approached by dozens of companies that wanted to buy him out but he was afraid they would ruin the product line. He sold out to GSM on the premise that they would invest into the company to make it better. I expect that a man like Gary Dobyns wanted to feel that his legacy of fine fishing rods will continue.
    Yamamoto was wrong.
    Proverbs 28:1

11. Member
    when has private equity company ever made anything better? You dont need to answer that, we all know

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WAWI View Post
    when has private equity company ever made anything better? You dont need to answer that, we all know
    Just look what to Champion and Stratos when they got gobbled up. Say what you want but the same thing would have happened to Ranger as well if it wasn’t for Ol’ Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I'm in the exact same boat. Dobyns is fantastic for filling niche lengths / actions that you want, but not going to be a top performing rod. I have an Xtasy and a Champ extreme and while they are good rods, they aren't anywhere near a Steez or an NRX IMO.
    My Mike Long jig rod snags anything that swims. Dobyns hit a home run with that one.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    My Mike Long jig rod snags anything that swims. Dobyns hit a home run with that one.
    I'm not sure Dobyns has ever really done all that well with signature series rods. I got a great deal on a couple Roumbanis rods a few years back because nobody wanted to buy ugly green champions lol

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    Haha, invested in like Lew's.

Quote Originally Posted by stringwise View Post
    I take it you believe quality will be impacted? Sounds like Gary kept the team in place and that was important to him. Not taking a side just curious.
    Tell me one that hasn't.... I'm out.

Yeah they own a bunch of the hunting companies. The bottom of the spectrum ones. I'm not mad this is how small business owners make money but I'm out.

The issue for me now become how big of a bath am I gonna take trying to sell and what shipping costs vs replacing.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I'm not sure Dobyns has ever really done all that well with signature series rods. I got a great deal on a couple Roumbanis rods a few years back because nobody wanted to buy ugly green champions lol
    It's a good rod, but I laugh every time I see the Mike Long sig.

18. Member
    Gary is the same age as me. He should be able to retire.

19. Member
    no surprise here that is what they all say when somebody with deeper pockets invest.

20. Member
    Should I look at updating my Shimano Magnumlite Fightin Rods from the 80's/90's??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast