cork/ wood filler

What have you folks found to be the best filler for your cork rod handles?

Elmer's Wood Filler
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

3. Member
    This has always worked for me. Apply lightly, fill all holes and lightly sand. Then seal. I use the golden oak color.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Practice, practice and more practice, and if you think you're good practice some more (Cadman circa2006)

4. Member
    Thank you fellas, I will use the Elmer's and see how it goes!

5. Member
    I use the Elmers too, but Golden Oak rarely matches my cork. I get that and another one of a lighter shade (I’m pretty sure lighter) and mix the two until I get a closer match. I tried the cork dust and wood glue mix but it’s never wet enough to stick (if it is, there’s too much glue content).

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    I use the Elmers too, but Golden Oak rarely matches my cork. I get that and another one of a lighter shade (I’m pretty sure lighter) and mix the two until I get a closer match. I tried the cork dust and wood glue mix but it’s never wet enough to stick (if it is, there’s too much glue content).
    What other color do you mix with the Golden Oak?
    Practice, practice and more practice, and if you think you're good practice some more (Cadman circa2006)

7. Member
    I haven't personally used it, but a rod component company out of Japan (Justace) makes a cork filler paste that I've heard good things about. I'll be ordering some soon to fill voids on a couple of handles I recently built. Voodoorods.com is also awesome to do business with and usually ships same day:

https://voodoorods.com/products/just...k-repair-putty

8. Member
    FWIW, it's crazy that Evergreen's top shelf rods with cork has so many pits and marks...I suppose that's a design/look that they want per their design team?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    What other color do you mix with the Golden Oak?
    I mix Golden Oak with Natural. Natural is lighter, Golden Oak has been too dark for most of my corks (corks get sun bleached over time too).