Time to upgrade from AGM to Lithium

Ok I have a dead battery, In anticipation of Lithium when my charger went out I picked up a Minnkota 4 bank capable of charging LI batteries. Now that the AGM has given its all, what do I go with? There are hundreds out there. I don't fish enough to warrant $800 bucks per batt. So in the low to mid range what should I go with? Ranger z520 2008 with an ultrex.

What is it for?

here is the ones I am considering. Price is good, it has bluetooth and a heater, since I am up north. A member here recommended them.

https://www.vmaxtanks.com/lithium100ahbthtr

4. Member
    Trolling Motor 36v

5. Member
    36v ultrex on a Z520

Quote Originally Posted by teandrle View Post
    Ok I have a dead battery, In anticipation of Lithium when my charger went out I picked up a Minnkota 4 bank capable of charging LI batteries. Now that the AGM has given its all, what do I go with? There are hundreds out there. I don't fish enough to warrant $800 bucks per batt. So in the low to mid range what should I go with? Ranger z520 2008 with an ultrex.

I'd look at the LiTime 100 w bluetooth.

I recently did a YouTube video that compares features of ~20 different "budget" batteries. May be worth a watch, lots of options out there.
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | 4" Jackplate | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | Garmin Force w/MillerTech 36v-60Ah | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

I went with Ionics earlier this year. Sure there are cheaper batteries out there, but having one you can get warranty and support on was worth it to me. And to be fair, Ionics are not all that much more expensive.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

10. Member
    You most likely don't NEED lithium batteries. You WANT lithium batteries.

I went with a full Ionic set up last year. 3 - 12V 50AH for TM. 1- 12V 125AH for all else. Totally satisfied. Bucks up, could afford.

I'm retired. Fish 5 - 7 days a week. Sometime go 2 - 3 days without charging. At least that is the rationale I used when buying the lithiums.

Realistically, For a part time weekend fisherman, I wouldn't spend the money. Lead acids still work extremely well for a lot less money. AGM doesn't interest me.

Get to WM and buy some qroup 29 lead acid. If you have room, O'Reilly usually has a good price on their group 31's. I have 4 in my other two boats. Highly recommended.

Just my $0.02.

11. Member
    I have a couple 36v 60ah new Dakota lithiums in the for sale section.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    Given that you have already invested in a battery charger that will handle lithium, you should be able to pick up no name lithium batteries below $200 each. A comparable lead acid battery would cost at least $100 each. And those acid batteries will not give you the same performance and they will be literally three times the weight of a lithium battery. If you are not Tournament fishing for money, taking a risk on cheap lithium seems reasonable. It’s hard to say how well these cheap batteries will hold up overtime and I think the biggest concern is probably heat and vibration ultimately causing the battery control modules to fail. All that said, I would not put cheap lithium batteries on the boat that I was taking offshore as a failure could be a very big deal not to mention the harsh salt environment will really put battery construction to the test.

I went with four mini size 100 AH batteries and I’ve been happy with a performance thus far. One of the batteries is a dedicated electronics battery. They supposedly have a 10 year warranty, but I wouldn’t bet on the company being available eight years from now to warranty a battery for me. :-)

The size and weight difference compared to group 29 is amazing. My boat sits higher in the water since I’ve gotten rid of that weight, and I have not had balance problems with the boat. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    great advice!