Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

axle came off boat trailer while driving

Hi. I need some suggestions and information. I have a 18.5 fish and ski bass boat from very well known bass boat manufacturer. I bought the boat and trailer brand new in 2005. The trailer has one axle.

Earlier today, I was driving on freeway in the far right lane traveling about 55 to 60 mph. I was coming down a hill when my wife said something did not seem right. About a 1/2 second later I felt a thump and felt something dragging. I looked in my driver's side rear view mirror and saw my boat and trailer skidding sideways in the next lane over to my left. The trailer swung back around behind me and I pulled over to the side of the road. I got out of my van and expected to see a flat tire. Instead I saw the axle and the two wheels about 100 yards behind me in the shoulder of the road. The wheels were still attached to the axle.

There were alot of cars nearby and thank God no one got hurt from the trailer or the axle. As far as i know, no cars were hit by the axle.

I am not mechanically inclined so bear with me. I looked at the axle and tires. One tire had a gash in it where the sidewall meets the tire and it also had a hole in it. The hole and gash were on the in side of the tire (the side that faces the axle not the street). Before leaving on my camping trip, I made sure the tires were inflated to 50 psi cold -per the instructions on the tires and on the trailer's VIN plate. The welds that attach the axle to the trailer frame were sheared off.

The boat appeared to be okay and the 150 Optimax engine appeared to be okay (from a quick inspection). The boat, trailer and detached axle are sitting at a tow yard right now. My boat trailer warranty expired four years ago.

I called my insurance company to make a claim. I should hear form them tomorrow. If they dont cover me, how much could a replacement axle, fender etc. set me back? What about a good replacement trailer? I plan on having Boatmasters in Livermore California take a look at the trailer, boat and engine since the tow yard is a few minutes away from them.

Any and all thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

2. Member
    Glad you are safe. Cost would depend on maker, type of material fender is made from, etc. As far as a new axle, I had to get one some years ago for a larger boat and I contacted the trailer manufacture and they asked why I was replacing it and I told them and they said it may have been a faulty axle and they replaced free, I just had to install it. Call the trailer manufacture company and ask, it is worth a try.

3. Member
    Do your best to get your trailer totalled. New trailers come with new tires, which you will have to buy if you fix yours.

4. Member
    Fixing the trailer wont be worth it. Broke my axle last year on my old boat and just bought a new trailer for it. Also, my insurance company covered ONLY the towing and not the trailer. They said that the trailer was normal wear and tear and not from hitting something. My suggestion, TELL THEM YOU HIT SOMETHING!!!! Good luck with it, I know firsthand that its a pain in the a$$!!!
    "CATCH EM, PUT EM BACK, CATCH EM AGAIN, PUT EM BACK AGAIN, REPEAT!!"

TGCustomRods@gmail.com

Sponsors:
    My WIFE
    My Wallet

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wl1193 View Post
    The welds that attach the axle to the trailer frame were sheared off.
    This^^^^^
    As others have said, it's cheaper to buy a new trailer.
    Considering that it appears to be a manufacturing defect (welds don't break if done correctly), I would contact the trailer manufacturer and do some whining and crying; it shouldn't have broken, it's only 5 years old, the trailer is a write-off, my boat could have been wrecked, someone could have been killed, etc. They may do something for you; there's nothing to lose by trying.

6. Banned
    WOW. Glad your OK that could have been real ugly!! So what exactly broke?? Did the axle actually brake or did the U bolts or spring hangers brake off ?

You should say what brand of trailer it is, as now everybody reading this is getting paranoid about their trailers.

7. Member
    I am going to take a buddy to the tow yard and he will tell me what he thinks. He is very knowledgeable. at this point I dont if its a good idea to name the brand. Let me think about it. I'll will say its is a brand that has an excellent reputation amongst the bass fishing world. Is it possible to post pictures? I dont know how to do it. How common is it for an axle to come off?

Will

8. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Can you have the axle rewelded back on. If it wasn't damaged and the weld just broke it might can be cleaned up and repaired.
    Just a thought

921 Pro XP

Quote Originally Posted by tgrife View Post
    TELL THEM YOU HIT SOMETHING!!!!
    Really? Telling someone they should lie to their insurance company. Isn't there laws about that!

Tom

10. Member
    If you hit a pothole did you not hit something? I hit one last year in the middle of the road and broke the straps holding the batteries down and one turned over and messed up the boat.

11. Banned
    Let me think about it. I'll will say its is a brand that has an excellent reputation amongst the bass fishing world.

Will[/QUOTE]

Well that eliminates my Nitro trailer. I feel better now..

12. Member
    Hate to hear that. Glad y'all are ok.

13. Member
    Sounds like a scary situation. Im glad everyone is ok. Does your trailer not have leaf springs?

14. Banned
    Wow, that had to be a wild ride for a few seconds... Glas everyone is OK... Dan

Quote Originally Posted by wl1193 View Post
    ...How common is it for an axle to come off?

Will
    Uh, considering I have never heard of it happening in 52 years I think it rather uncommon. I know of trailers that have been in service for over 35 years and still going. I am assuming the leaf hangers sheared from the trailer frame? The springs were still attached to the axle? So you sheared four welded leaf hangers clean off the frame in one instance? Warranty or not I think the trailer manufacturer owes you a new trailer and needs to FIRE a welder. Whoever the manufacturer is they do not want this publicized.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gofish42189 View Post
    Sounds like a scary situation. Im glad everyone is ok. Does your trailer not have leaf springs?
    Im going to go out on a limb and take a guess he has a torsion spring set-up where the axle is attached directly to the trailer.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    This^^^^^
    As others have said, it's cheaper to buy a new trailer.
    Considering that it appears to be a manufacturing defect (welds don't break if done correctly), I would contact the trailer manufacturer and do some whining and crying; it shouldn't have broken, it's only 5 years old, the trailer is a write-off, my boat could have been wrecked, someone could have been killed, etc. They may do something for you; there's nothing to lose by trying.
    This quote, again. Welds don't break on 5 year old trailers. Tell the manufacturer that perhaps there should be a recall on all their trailers. That would get their attention.
    Last edited by Nova Kaw 650; 07-30-2012 at 05:08 PM.

A series of events would have to take place, I would assume it started with a broken axle. I dunno
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

19. Member
    I went to the tow yard with my buddy. Its a torsion axle. The welds on both ends of the axle broke where they meet the axle if that makes sense. The trailer is warped behind the area where the left tire should be. I am sure its warped in other places as well but I did not look too hard. The boat and motor appear to be okay but who knows? Its a fiberglass boat. I had a transom saver (I dont remember the brand name) and it popped loose from the impact. I am worried about the stresses of the motor moving up and down during the impact and the shifting weight stressing the fiberglass. The motor's skeg was intact etc. I went to the closet dealer and the person I need to speak to will be in tomorrow. I took a lot of photos so he can see what happened. Hopefully the company will replace the trailer and pay for storage etc. I should not have to come out of pocket if their welder did a poor job.

7 year old trailer failed at the welds, again I bet you find the welds failing was a secondary issue. Should have been some u bolts holding the axle to the trailer also.. My bet is something caused the wheels to lock up and also caused the spindle to get very hot, which helped the weld fail on one side. This is only a theory would like to hear what really happened once u find out.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast