Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bishoptf View Post
    ........ I kep it on voltage and when running it read about 14.2 or so and when it happened the voltage never dropped and the smartcraft did not appear to reset, just the beep and loss of power the immediate pick back up. ........
    Time for a readout of the pcm.
    Optimax 90 - 2B019339 (2014), Quicksilver 580 Pilothouse (2006)

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bishoptf View Post
    Well it continues, took it for a ride and thought it was working and it started doing it again, real intermittant. Took the canon plug apart and spread them a little more but they are about as wide as they can go and they are clean. I looked under the console and looked for purple an took apart and put back together any that I could find that had connections.

I kep it on voltage and when running it read about 14.2 or so and when it happened the voltage never dropped and the smartcraft did not appear to reset, just the beep and loss of power the immediate pick back up.

I'm pretty bummed and not sure where to go from here, any other suggestions to look at and try please let me know. Thanks.
    I agree- a fresh PRINTOUT of the PCM History (Computer Diagnostic System) is in order. Printouts of:

-Run History
    -Freeze Frame (Fault) History
    -Fault Seconds Counters

I would STRONLY urge you to get this BEFORE you run the engine again, as there may indeed be a fault occurring (and you certainly don't want to repeat history with the powerhead). Any number of possibilities here.

I'd be more than happy to review the printouts by email, if necessary.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I agree- a fresh PRINTOUT of the PCM History (Computer Diagnostic System) is in order. Printouts of:

-Run History
    -Freeze Frame (Fault) History
    -Fault Seconds Counters

I would STRONLY urge you to get this BEFORE you run the engine again, as there may indeed be a fault occurring (and you certainly don't want to repeat history with the powerhead). Any number of possibilities here.

I'd be more than happy to review the printouts by email, if necessary.
    Yeah just more time lost on the water in order to do that and in order to take it out I have to run it back to the ramp, I guess I can go slow since it doesnt seem to do it other then @ high rpms.

You mention any number of possibilities, what elese could cause this condition that I have not addressed. It is like you said it's like the iginition gets turn off and back on? I guess I am not to confident that it is setting anything in the computer but I guess that is something to check on.

It would be nice to know what DDT version mayber an older one I could look for that would allow me to retrieve these readouts, its something I am willing to spend for since pulling it out of the lake and taking it somewhere burns a lot of time.

Will call some places and see when they can get to me...take a day off from work etc....what a waste.

4. Member
    and heres the problem, called one place and they will not even be able to do that till like the week of the july 14th, thats the problem we do not have lots of folks close that can even do work on opti's.

Without my manual can some tell me where to look for the computer hook up to determine if its a 2 pin vs 4 pin hookup, its a 2005 model and I am thinking I have the 2 port version but want to make sure I know where to look - thanks.
    Last edited by bishoptf; 06-24-2014 at 10:56 AM.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Diagnostic Connector is often located at the port-rear corner of the engine (or below the ECU on some models).

The problem here is that we really don't "KNOW" that the horn you're hearing is the PCM resetting- it may actually be a bonifide (real) fault occurring, and the horn may be sounding to warn you of a critical situation that needs to be addressed.

It's ALWAYS best to work on the presumption that the warning horn is functioning PROPERLY, until (or unless) proven otherwise, conclusively. DOZENS of possible faults (anything from INJECTOR FAULTS to intake air temp sensor, and numerous items in between).

It's also possible that the MPR is resetting (contacts not remaining closed), the belt might be slipping (perhaps due to a stretched belt, or improperly assembled tensioner), etc.

Given the recent history of this engine... and extent of the work you've put into it, I'd probably not want to chance the potential of having to repeat history.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Diagnostic Connector is often located at the port-rear corner of the engine (or below the ECU on some models).

The problem here is that we really don't "KNOW" that the horn you're hearing is the PCM resetting- it may actually be a bonifide (real) fault occurring, and the horn may be sounding to warn you of a critical situation that needs to be addressed.

It's ALWAYS best to work on the presumption that the warning horn is functioning PROPERLY, until (or unless) proven otherwise, conclusively. DOZENS of possible faults (anything from INJECTOR FAULTS to intake air temp sensor, and numerous items in between).

It's also possible that the MPR is resetting (contacts not remaining closed), the belt might be slipping (perhaps due to a stretched belt, or improperly assembled tensioner), etc.

Given the recent history of this engine... and extent of the work you've put into it, I'd probably not want to chance the potential of having to repeat history.
    The MPR was a good thought and cheap so I replaced it an no difference, right now only happening when close to wot or close to 5000rpms. You mentioned the belt, I replaced the belt so it is new, so its off to buy a computer trying to figure out if I want to go PC based or handheld, I can see advantages to both.

It's a shame since it appears to be running pretty smooth otherwise and if no codes turn up not sure where to go after that. I guess I could always replace the ignition switch or maybe its the PCM thats messed up, gotta love the mercs, lots of stuff going on.

It's gotta be something stupid simple but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Could even be something as simple as a sensor.... a fuel injector, OR A DIRECT INJECTOR (for instance, one that doesn't malfunction until higher RPM's).

8. Member
    Well maybe just maybe we have figured it out, took some running and troubleshooting. First we looked at the voltages of the TPS and everything was inline with the service manual. I loosened up and tightened back down the crank position sensor, and we went for a ride. No issues when the side panels and the cowls were off, thinking things were corrected we put them back on and as soon as we did that it started having the issues.

Took the cowl an the panels off and again no issues, started putting pieces one at a time until we figured out that when the side panel was installed it would cause the issue. The side panel has to be pulled slightly to allow it to engage all of the hold down pins. Doing that slightly flexes the electronic panel that the pins are attached too.

Once we noticed that we started looking closely at all of the connections on that panel and lo and behold there was one, hard to see but one of the bolts that holds the electronic plate to the engine AND has a connection on it was loose, pretty loose. It's teh one that has the braided connection that appears to go from the PCM to the bolt. I looked in my service manual and not sure if this is a ground connection or exactly what its for since its a braided wire that appears to be flexible but is connected to the bolt that goes to the engine.

I ran it this am with the cowl and other pieces and so far so good. Not sure I will trust it until it goes a while but it was pretty quick to do it before, but maybe just maybe it's fixed.

Can anyone shed any light on that connection and if its for a ground connection, maybe for the PCM?

9. Banned
    Man I'd love to know the outcome of this but I'm confused by the cowling having anything to do with it. But now that I see you're referring to the electrical panel that the pins are attached to. I've gotta look that up.

Humm, I honestly don't see the purpose of that U shaped braided strap as I see no component attached at either end other than the panel itself.
    Last edited by Wildcat Dude; 06-29-2014 at 09:03 PM.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It is indeed a grounding strap, and must be continuously connected with clean/tight connections.

11. Member
    Update, I have run it a couple of times now and it has not repeated, so far so good. I have almost 5 hours on it and will continue to run it varying the throttle for the rest of the summer. When I pull it off the lake in the fall I will do a compression check on all of the cylinders and see where I am at.

Don I may look you up in the off season, will see where I am with the RPM's and I might swap out my CCMS reeds and go with a set of TDR ones. I might also have my injectors cleaned again since I am now paranoid about those sitting over the winter months.

The only other thing that I might do in the off season is swap out the compressor for one of the new designed ones, I have low hours but I really would not want my compressor to go sideways and from everything I read the new ones are a better design and should be better over the long haul.

I will post an updates as I get more time on the rebuild and provide some status.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    IMHO.... your above plan is good, EXCEPT for the compressor. Check the compressor for shaft runout, and verify good air pressure. I'm not inclined to replace a compressor "just because you can"... ANY compressor design has the potential to fail, given the right conditions/situation.

13. Member
    Going to necro bump this very old thread....10 years later and the engine is still kicking. The big change I did was to have my injectors serviced every three years along with the other normal maintenance. I am in the process of trying to sell my boat but wanted to post that after the rebuild in 2014 the engine is still running today. :)

I can't go on to say how much this forum should thank Don @EuropeanAM for all the support and help he provides to forum members. It's really nice to be able to get some guidance and part numbers etc when working on a Mercury engine and Don has always been a big help.

Just wanted to say I appreciate that this forum exists and the helpful folks that still participate!

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thank you for the kind words. It's always good to hear the "success" stories.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456