Performance Results - Skid Plate Installation = 30% Hole Shot Improvement

Boat: Gambler 2000 Intimidator
    Motor: Merc 225 EFI with Brucato Injection
    Prop: 25" Tempest Plus
    Trim Tabs: none
    Jack Plate: 6" Detwiler on Gambler 4" set back (10" overall) - standard Gambler set up 10 years ago
    Extras: Bryan's Foil
    Problem: Prop is too small of a pitch for top end performance, yet it still has trouble getting out of the hole with two aboard and livewells full. If it does come out without intervention, it takes about 6 1/2 seconds for the front to drop. For about 4 seconds of this time, forward visibility is eliminated. If the boat doesn't come out on its own from a dead stop due to hot weather, slick water, or power loss due to extra back pressure from the exhaust relief port going under water, the passenger has to walk up front in order to get the boat on plane. It will not come out unless that happens as the rear end is sucked down permanently. This happens about 50% of the time when two are in the boat.
    Fix: I've designed a skid plate for him to solve several of the problems with his jack plate assembly and to also provide an additional running surface for planing purposes only.
    Results: Hole shot with two aboard and full tournament load reduced from 6 1/2 seconds to 4 1/2 seconds with strong acceleration from the start. The rear has no chance of being locked down as before due to the scooping effect of the jack plate (see pics). Very little bow rise. Driver has visibility the entire time. No change in high speed performance as the plate is entirely out of the water at this point. Backwash is significantly reduced. This should enable him to try props for top end performance that never got him out of the hole in the past, i.e. 27" Trophy and/or Fury and should have a huge improvement on his fuel efficiency due to less strain off the start and the taller pitch.

Normal running position (BEFORE). Look at how easily water will scoop up and into the jack plate area on hole shot. He had water going over his motor cowling on every hole shot.

Normal running position (AFTER). The plate extends the set back surface and puts about a 7 degree hook at this location to lift the rear. It also ensures that water won't run up into the plate creating the huge scooping effect that is the most detrimental aspect of his poor hole shot.

Plate fully down (BEFORE). This is what made the plate design very difficult. See how the ram travels a good ways down.

Normal running position from underneath (AFTER). What is also accounted for in the plate design is that the ram can travel down through the plate. There is a .200" clearance built in.

Zoomed out view (BEFORE). Large cavities in the sides of the plate allow water to enter here as well. Not as severe of an issue, but still not desireable.

Zoomed out view (AFTER). Cavities are covered by side plates. He's also done a nice restoration on the plates. Yes, this is the same boat.
    Mark

Re: Performance Results - Skid Plate Installation = 30% Ho ... (Bass Hog)

I noticed in the extras that a Bryans foil was installed. Was that a previous installation, or done at the same time?

I'm going with the foil making the biggest difference over the plate if both were installed at the same time.

Good job, and quite an improvement.

Gman
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

3. Member

Re: Performance Results - Skid Plate Installation = 30% Ho ... (Gamblinman)

No the Bryan's Foil was already on the boat. Like I said, the biggest problem he had was water scooping into the jack plate area on take off. The only change was the addition of the skid plate.

Modified by Bass Hog at 6:58 AM 1/26/2010
    Mark

Re: Performance Results - Skid Plate Installation = 30% Ho ... (Bass Hog)

The boat just so happens to be mine and ive been asking question after question on here since 06' trying to get a better holeshot. I purchased the Bryans foil in September of 06', 1 month after owning the boat, and it definitely improved my holeshot, but I still needed someone to go to the bow for the boat to fully plane out. Ive experimented with 9 different props and pitches over the past few years and they all have their qualities but I would say my greatest speed and acceleration came off the 26p Fury, but I still had no holeshot what-so-ever. The only chance of a holeshot without someone running to the front was always with the Tempest Plus 25p, and even then it was a gamble...IE: crossing fingers hoping the RPM's would travel high enough to actually pull the boat out of the hole. Like my cousin said..only about 50% of the time.
    Ive experimented with every trim position and jack plate height combination there is and found the best position to be as he indicated with the motor tucked completely underneath. This new plate actually gave me visibility upon take-off; something ive never had on this boat. The bow always rose up too high. It literally allowed the boat to point more forward than upward, which has never happened. With this being the case, the motor wasnt buried so far beneath the surface at some funky angle, it was right where it should be and consequently the boat planed out in very little time and was very smooth transition coming out of the hole...the ride, the RPM's ..everything just felt like a Cadillac...the way a Gambler should feel Im just happy now that I have overcome my holeshot, I can now put the prop on that I really want so I can figure the best handling, speed and overall performance ive already spent thousands of dollars trying to achieve with little to no avail. This plate is awesome. Granted I never did get a chance to try the Bravo 1 27p that was recommended to me 2 months ago. But this plate was a fraction of the cost and achieved the main thing I was concerned with...a real natural holeshot. being at 2000+ ft altitude, my setup is much different than alot of you guys running at, or near sea level, but anyone having any holeshot problems would be hard pressed to find a better solution than this plate. You guys with the tabs have it made, and now I finally do as well...and it even adds to the Aluminum Decor ive already got goin on back there

5. Member

Re: Performance Results - Skid Plate Installation = 30% Ho ... (AZ Intimidator)

Wondering how thick the piece of stainless is?

6. Member

Re: Performance Results - Skid Plate Installation = 30% Ho ... (Pitchin Black)

No stainless. Too heavy and expensive. This is 3/16" 5052 aluminum for a combination of strength, ease of forming, and corrosion resistance. Whole assembly weighs in at 5.5 lbs with a safety factor of 5 to 1. Complete overkill. No worries of failure.
    Mark

7. Member
    Wow, coming back to an old thread! I was cleaning out the garage this weekend and forgot all about the second set I made of this skid plate assy. If anyone has one of the older Gamblers that used the 4" setback and the 6" Detwiler, and wants this one, you just need to add stainless hardware to attach the bottom plate to the side plates, and you're good to go. Installation isn't difficult, especially if you have an engine hoist to pull some of the hanging weight off while installing each side panel individually. This thing totally cleans up the water flow at the back to aid significantly in getting out of the hole, and once on plane is completely out of the water. Furthermore, it reduces backwash on shutdown by probably at least 50%. It's not so much about the lift this unit provides, which there's a little, it's mostly about cleaning up the flow of water and eliminating it from entering the jack plate area and allowing it to act like a bill on a deep diving crankbait.

I haven't been on this forum on almost 15 years or so, but if interested, PM me, if that's even possible, or respond to this post. First person at $100, it's yours to your door, in the U.S., of course.IMG_3871.jpgIMG_3872.jpgIMG_3873.jpg
    Mark