Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuskyMauler View Post
    This thread is over 3 years old- however, just spent over $60,000 on new boat came with Minn Kota Ultrex that has same problem. Trolling motor stays on constantly!!! I will switch to Motor Guide in the future. Can not believe how unprofessional a company can be. Looking at the internet it is a common problem and they do not check it at the factory or change the design. Very disappointing. My son does not want to use our new boat because of the issue.
    Had the same issue.....it's a 10 to 15 minute fix .....just requires a little trial and error adjustments with very slightly moving the magnet.....not a big deal.

2. Member
    To set the switch your supposed to push the little reed switch up in its holder then push your pedal switch down that will push the reed switch back down and set the distance of it , if it continues its probably a bad switch .so far I'm loving my Garmin

3. Member
    Spent close to an hour in 90 degree temperatures moving magnet/switch up and down in different positions. Finally when I turned it on it did not stay on constantly! I was excited, however, for the rest of the day it would come on in the constant mode while not touching pedal.
    Bass Pro Shops, Nitro, and Minn Kota should be embarrassed by the product they sell customers. I’ve been a BPS customer since 1983 when I would call in orders from catalog.

4. Member
    Did you try adjusting the stand-off post in the button assembly as I described in post #38. Initially I had the same problem you have with the motor staying on when i released the button. After adjusting the stand-off post the problem was resolved and the Ultrex is an amazing product. You will be happy once you work through this issue. I agree MinnKota should step up their initial quality control.

5. Member
    MY MOMENTARY SWITCH ON MINNKOTA ULTREX QUIT WORKING. THE REMOTE & THE ON SWITCH WORK. I MOVED THE REED UP SEVERAL TIMES WITH NO AFFECT.ODDLY THE LAST TIME I WENT FISHING IT STARTED WORKING FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS THEN IT QUIT AGAIN.I PUT A NEW SWITCH ASSEMBLY ON IT AND NOW IT DOES NOT WORK AFTERE ADJUSTING IT UP AND UP HIGHER.I EVEN TOOK IT OUT ENOUGH TO HOLD THE MAGNET ON IT AND IT STILL DOES NOT WORK.I THINK THE PROBLEM IS PAST THE SWITCH. ANY SUGESTIONS ?

6. Member
    I would start by checking continuity of the switch in open and closed positions with an ohm meter. This will determine if you have a problem with the switch. If switch is working correctly, then yes, you need to start looking elsewhere. Confirm you have voltage going to the switch. Also, as an FYI, do your checks with motor down, motor will not run in stowed position like Fortrex and older models did.

7. Member
    I posted this issue on my new Quest a few months ago. At the time, they acted like I was the first guy to mention it. But the Quest has the exact same pedal design with the reed that the regular Ultrex has. I had the same issue on my previous one. For the life of me, I don't understand why they didn't improve this design when the Quest came out. It was definitely an oversight.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberform View Post
    MY MOMENTARY SWITCH ON MINNKOTA ULTREX QUIT WORKING. THE REMOTE & THE ON SWITCH WORK. I MOVED THE REED UP SEVERAL TIMES WITH NO AFFECT.ODDLY THE LAST TIME I WENT FISHING IT STARTED WORKING FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS THEN IT QUIT AGAIN.I PUT A NEW SWITCH ASSEMBLY ON IT AND NOW IT DOES NOT WORK AFTERE ADJUSTING IT UP AND UP HIGHER.I EVEN TOOK IT OUT ENOUGH TO HOLD THE MAGNET ON IT AND IT STILL DOES NOT WORK.I THINK THE PROBLEM IS PAST THE SWITCH. ANY SUGESTIONS ?
    Are you sure you have inserted the wires in the phone connector enough for them to be crimped? I would check that first. If they are then skin back the wires off the switch and touch them together. If the motor runs then it it is the switch if not then it is the board.
    I had issues with a few switches I have seen and it is always seems to be the same problem. And it repeats with the same individual. Even after the control board is replaced. I have no answer for it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    I posted this issue on my new Quest a few months ago. At the time, they acted like I was the first guy to mention it. But the Quest has the exact same pedal design with the reed that the regular Ultrex has. I had the same issue on my previous one. For the life of me, I don't understand why they didn't improve this design when the Quest came out. It was definitely an oversight.
    Believe it or not it is a rare occurrence for this problem in comparison to the number of motors out there.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Believe it or not it is a rare occurrence for this problem in comparison to the number of motors out there.
    That's what I've heard. When you look at how it's designed, it just seems like it would be inherently unreliable. Guess they have a different experience overall than I've had personally, thus no change in design.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123