Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For those that frequently fly Southwest Airlines

Yesterday SW declared an “Operational Emergency” as a result of taking numerous aircraft out of service.....due to a work slowdown by their mechanics union. Numerous flights have been cancelled and will continue to be for some time. SW has filed a suit against the union and the union has now counter sued. So much for the “happy employee” attitude SW is known for. The FAA has published a warning regarding the situation.

2. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    So much for the friendly skies....

3. Member
    Health insurance I bet is the problem.

4. Member
    From what I read, the Union is upset over contracting out language. They are allegedly slowing down airplane repairs and coming up with phantom repair reasons thus taking planes out of service forcing canceled flights.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

I know Southwest used to have a lot of their big maintenance done south of the border in San Salvador. I believe they still do, it’s mentioned in this article. I’ve seen their airplanes in San Salvador many times. https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...-could-be.html

6. Member
    The mechanics are 6 years overdue on their contract. The airlines take advantage and abuse the Railway Labor Act. Support the aircraft mechanics and don’t fly Southwest until they settle with the union.

Quote Originally Posted by Tfall View Post
    The mechanics are 6 years overdue on their contract. The airlines take advantage and abuse the Railway Labor Act. Support the aircraft mechanics and don’t fly Southwest until they settle with the union.
    Yes...and that timeframe is ridiculous in this era of profitabilty for Southwest. Outsourcing jobs are the biggest threat to American workers.

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Yes...and that timeframe is ridiculous in this era of profitabilty for Southwest. Outsourcing jobs are the biggest threat to American workers.
    this^^^^^^^

Iknow there are a lot of anti-union guys on here, but unions do try to protect American jobs. There are some bad unions but most are not. Owners, stockholders and of course----- Management---- hate unions.

6 years without a contract???? I bet the non-union employes ( management ) got their wages and benefits increased in the last 6 years

9. Member
    We need to remember there are always two sides to every story.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Its also a safety concern that the airlines are outsourcing maintenance to third world countries. I’ve seen many instances of poor maintenance from aircraft just coming back from countries where they just had work done.

11. Member
    Even if they delay and cancel half of their flights, I still figure they'd be better than flying American. Been stuck in Philly too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    We need to remember there are always two sides to every story.
    Of course...but the bottom line is Airline management historically comes down on labor to to reduce costs. Its happened over and over again through the years. Meanwhile the revolving door of upper management with their golden parachutes continues wether they mismanage or not... The executives have no investment in the company...they will be gone and wealthy. Career frontline employees tire of that. If your job was being given away...what's to lose in a job action? Also once the seal is broken on something like outsourcing...its gets worse and worse.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Even if they delay and cancel half of their flights, I still figure they'd be better than flying American. Been stuck in Philly too many times.
    There’s nothing wrong with American and anyone who flys a lot knows no matter what airline you fly you’re going to have delays and a cancellation every now and then. There’s someone that hates every airline and they all have the same complaint. What amazes me is how some think Southwest is the greatest thing ever. They aren’t cheap and they have their own issues, some pretty big, like all airlines do.

All the anti union people are fine with outsourcing until it’s their own job that’s being outsourced then others are supposed to care about them. I don’t care what airline it is, outsourcing maintenance to 3rd world counties is BS.

15. Member
    It must be a very weak union! How is it you go six years without a contract? Where is the value of the union here?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    There’s nothing wrong with American and anyone who flys a lot knows no matter what airline you fly you’re going to have delays and a cancellation every now and then. There’s someone that hates every airline and they all have the same complaint. What amazes me is how some think Southwest is the greatest thing ever. They aren’t cheap and they have their own issues, some pretty big, like all airlines do.
    I'm sure you're correct overall. It's just that we're at the end of the line with a small market so flight and airline choices are severely limited. American routes much of their east coast traffic through Philly where they employ the just-in-time approach for the flight crews. Any delay elsewhere becomes a delay in Philly and stranding a crew up in Maine any longer than necessary isn't good for their bottom line, hence the cancelled flights. We can drive south to get more flight options but that has a whole new set of cons.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I'm sure you're correct overall. It's just that we're at the end of the line with a small market so flight and airline choices are severely limited. American routes much of their east coast traffic through Philly where they employ the just-in-time approach for the flight crews. Any delay elsewhere becomes a delay in Philly and stranding a crew up in Maine any longer than necessary isn't good for their bottom line, hence the cancelled flights. We can drive south to get more flight options but that has a whole new set of cons.
    Totally understand, smaller markets with connections is never a great option I think. I hate connecting flights and will book whatever I can without any connections if possible. I know in some markets that really isn't an option though. Northeast airports, RJ's, and connecting flights are the worst! I recently bought tickets for my wife and daughter on another airline to go direct in a 737 vs. an RJ. I work for an airline so get free travel but it's standby and they had to be somewhere so bought tickets on another airline. I hate buying tickets as an airline employee but sometimes you have to with flight being so full.

Many years ago I used to fly in to Bangor and Portland a lot, such a beautiful state.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    It must be a very weak union! How is it you go six years without a contract? Where is the value of the union here?
    Google Railway Labor act and why Aircraft mechanics, Pilots, and Air Traffic Controllers can’t strike. It’s not that the Union is weak. We basically need the President to authorize us to strike which won’t happen and the airlines know this so they all go overdue on our contracts. My last 3 contracts were all over 4 years, and the last was 5yrs overdue. The only tool we have is to find a reason to ground the aircraft, write up problems, and take delays.

We deal with this all the time too:

Should be a concern for all who fly.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    The last time I flew American I missed a connection in Seattle due to a delay out of Dallas. I ended up spending the night in the airport and at my age that is no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tfall View Post
    Google Railway Labor act and why Aircraft mechanics, Pilots, and Air Traffic Controllers can’t strike. It’s not that the Union is weak. We basically need the President to authorize us to strike which won’t happen and the airlines know this so they all go overdue on our contracts. My last 3 contracts were all over 4 years, and the last was 5yrs overdue. The only tool we have is to find a reason to ground the aircraft, write up problems, and take delays.

We deal with this all the time too:

Should be a concern for all who fly.
    I don't doubt it for a second. Early in my career when I was a heavy truck fleet mechanic, operating costs were king and safety was way down on the list of priorities. In the fleet world it's the opposite of what you normally encounter in the retail world where you take your car in for an oil change and they try to upsell you $750 worth of unneeded repairs ... in the fleet world they only want what's needed to be (barely) compliant ... pretty scary when it comes to trucks, downright sinister when it's aircraft.
    Ranting incoherently

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast