Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who makes and sells the best thick plush carpet in a heavy ounce matting?

I have been looking at carpets on line at places like Bass Pro, West Marine, Home Depot, Amazon, EBay etc etc.

I see the carpets have a matting with an ounce rating per specific perimeter and am thinking the heavier the ounce rating the more dense thick and cushiony the carpet will be.

Who makes the best carpets for durability and comfort?

My boat will be needing carpet soon. I figure I can start shopping around now to see what it’ll set me back.

I just finished building and carpeting a deck lid and speaker box and used some carpet I got locally in town. I can tell this carpet is very cheap quality and probably won’t last very long. By doing this little bit of carpet work I can tell I want better carpet for when I redo the whole boat front to rear.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

2. Member
    You can order carpet from Basscat. I believe they use one of the heaviest carpets in the industry.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    You can order carpet from Basscat. I believe they use one of the heaviest carpets in the industry.
    This

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    16 oz is usually standard,,,,20 oz is pretty plush....I think 24 oz is the max. The 24 oz will likely have you shaving the carpet around the lids to help with opening/closing....I'm going back with 20 oz.

I know Basscat has dense carpet on their boats. I dont know if you can order it if you own a different brand? There is also additional under pad you can buy even with their dense carpet. It might be worth a try contacting Allan in parts at Basscat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    I have been looking at carpets on line at places like Bass Pro, West Marine, Home Depot, Amazon, EBay etc etc.

I see the carpets have a matting with an ounce rating per specific perimeter and am thinking the heavier the ounce rating the more dense thick and cushiony the carpet will be.

Who makes the best carpets for durability and comfort?

My boat will be needing carpet soon. I figure I can start shopping around now to see what it’ll set me back.

I just finished building and carpeting a deck lid and speaker box and used some carpet I got locally in town. I can tell this carpet is very cheap quality and probably won’t last very long. By doing this little bit of carpet work I can tell I want better carpet for when I redo the whole boat front to rear.

So am I not understanding how the ounce rating works. If the 20 oz carpet would be a tight fit and a 24 oz would need trimming does this mean that the carpet not only has more strands per square inch to make it more dense but it is also taller? Or maybe the less dense carpet flexes and lays down easier. Just want to make sure I don’t spent good money on carpet that is too dense and end up breaking the perko pull tabs and wishing I made a wiser decision going into the purchase of new carpet.

Hair clippers with an assortment of guards are your friend.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Hair clippers with an assortment of guards are your friend.
    OK So that's the trick... Thank you...

9. Puddlepirate198
    Bass cat uses 24oz carpet. You can order from them I used it for my champion. I just put stir sticks for painting between my lids when I shut them for awhile and it's ended up just right. But some have used trimmers. I'm sure it's just gonna fall on how your lids are made.

bassboatseats.com has several different oz and color carpets. They will mail you 3 free samples to look at before purchasing. Check out their website.

11. Derek McCullough
    Sparta carpet makes most of the carpet on our boats.

12. Member
    Use 24oz if you are going to do it. You won’t be sorry. Did mine last winter and I’m glad I used the heaviest. Got it from bassboatseats.com.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance HDS Lives

Quote Originally Posted by Puddle pirate 198 View Post
    Bass cat uses 24oz carpet. You can order from them I used it for my champion. I just put stir sticks for painting between my lids when I shut them for awhile and it's ended up just right. But some have used trimmers. I'm sure it's just gonna fall on how your lids are made.
    Aluminum lids.

Following this thread.

I used 20 on my 95 stratos .. trimmed.. shaved.. even tried to burn down some of the fabric ... 8 years later and two of the back compartment lids and live wells still will not open without a ton of force

Thing had to have been built with 14 or something back in the day

Thanks Jerry. I’m thinking maybe I’ll do a practice install with 20 ounce and only put carpet rounded over the edges of deck lids to see how tight the fit is before I go and do the full install. This way I can tell how much trimming if any will be needed and or if I would be able to get away with 24 oz matting.

17. Member
    Here you go.
    24oz with color selection. I would just call Alan in parts and tell him color and length you will need.
    This carpet is used on all Bass Cat decks, lockers, and bunks. Good stuff.
    https://www.basscatstore.com/trailer...rpetcolor.aspx
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

just picked up my carpet from Bass Cat last weekend.
    24oz carpet and some of the best in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    So am I not understanding how the ounce rating works. If the 20 oz carpet would be a tight fit and a 24 oz would need trimming does this mean that the carpet not only has more strands per square inch to make it more dense but it is also taller? Or maybe the less dense carpet flexes and lays down easier. Just want to make sure I don’t spent good money on carpet that is too dense and end up breaking the perko pull tabs and wishing I made a wiser decision going into the purchase of new carpet.
    Don't recall if any one ever answered this question. Is the 24 ounce carpet taller?

20. Member
    basscat has 28oz best carpet from anyone!! ranger a close second maybe
    Last edited by mactlman; 03-19-2024 at 05:39 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast