Thread: St Lawrence

Question St Lawrence

What are the water temps on St Lawrence?

TIA

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    58-60 in the river, 62-63 in some of the bays up Waddington way last Fri.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger Z521c, 2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    I saw high 60s to 70 on the lake off Oswego yesterday.

4. Member
    Still have about 10 days before the season opens so it’ll probably warm up a console more degrees by then.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    Heading up fathers day to Oswego and Mexico bay. Bass is open in that area correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralexan View Post
    I saw high 60s to 70 on the lake off Oswego yesterday.
    2015 Crestliner VT 19 Pro Edition
    2015 Mercury 150 HP 4 Stroke
    Run mostly the Hudson river and creeks

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DirtyKids View Post
    Heading up fathers day to Oswego and Mexico bay. Bass is open in that area correct?
    Yes on the 15th

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DirtyKids View Post
    Heading up father’s day to Oswego and Mexico bay. Bass is open in that area correct?
    Ontario is open for catch and release from Niagara Falls east to Oswego, then north to Sandy Pond. Oswego and Mexico is in Oswego county.

Lake Ontario North of Sandy Pond is off limits since that’s where Jefferson County starts.

All waters in the following counties do not have a catch and release season and it’s against the law to target bass outside of the open season: Jefferson, Hamilton, St Lawrence, and Franklin.
    1995 Ranger 481v

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Ontario is open for catch and release from Niagara Falls east to Oswego, then north to Sandy Pond. Oswego and Mexico is in Oswego county.

Lake Ontario North of Sandy Pond is off limits since that’s where Jefferson County starts.

All waters in the following counties do not have a catch and release season and it’s against the law to target bass outside of the open season: Jefferson, Hamilton, St Lawrence, and Franklin.
    I've been aware of this for many years, but can somebody tell me why? Why is the water "north" of Sandy Pond different than going "south"?
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    I've been aware of this for many years, but can somebody tell me why? Why is the water "north" of Sandy Pond different than going "south"?
    I had a DEC officer tell me that since the water is much colder in those counties, and the bass population isn’t as good as say in central ny or the Fingerlakes, that they put the restriction on to protect spawning fish especially for inland lakes. But opening weekend is usually during the spawn on a lot of the mountain lakes. So if that was the case, then Essex county and 2/3rds of Herkimer county would be off limits too and the “open” day should be pushed back another week or two. The bass population isn’t as great up there, but it’s not weak either.

I live in Herkimer county and fish up in the ADKs a lot. I’m able to fish the Fulton Chain from Old forge pond to the 5th lake channel in Inlet, but you can’t fish 5th lake which is about 200yds up the channel from 4th lake since it’s completely in Hamilton county. It’s the same water system.

I can understand in waters that have gobies since they’ll raid a nest within a few seconds of a bass being pulled from it, but the inland lakes i don’t get.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 06-08-2024 at 02:57 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v

10. Member
    Based on those temps it looks like the season opening will be "smallmouth Disneyland" and a super fun time!

11. Member
    Much better bass seasons and fishing on Lake Erie….

https://dec.ny.gov/things-to-do/fres...ibutaries#erie