Trophy Plus prop on pad hulls

I figure since some of us in this section have pad hulls this is probably the best place to post it, anyway, onto the question itself. Has anyone run a Trophy Plus prop on their pad hull bottom rig? What were your speed gains or losses with it and what sort of configuration did you run it on with your lower? Hub ring on/ off? PVS plugs sealed up, or a combination of closed/ one open etc?

Xpress, Vexus, Ranger RT series 188/ 198P hulls, or even other Lowe's like my own, chime in please!

My own configuration in the signature, currently sitting on a Trophy Plus prop and will have the chance to run it this weekend so some preliminary info on how best to configure it would be awesome.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

2. Member
    I have not run a Trophy on my aluminium rig, but I ran one for years on a glass rig. It had fantastic throttle response, maybe 2 MPH slower in calm water? I chose the throttle response over speed because the hull was much easier to drive in rough water. The only real downside was loading. The Trophy did not push the boat up on the trailer like a Fury etc... You had to make sure the bunks were nice and wet to get any slide on the trailer. Once it stuck you had to get out and backup a little to get it all the way on the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I have not run a Trophy on my aluminium rig, but I ran one for years on a glass rig. It had fantastic throttle response, maybe 2 MPH slower in calm water? I chose the throttle response over speed because the hull was much easier to drive in rough water. The only real downside was loading. The Trophy did not push the boat up on the trailer like a Fury etc... You had to make sure the bunks were nice and wet to get any slide on the trailer. Once it stuck you had to get out and backup a little to get it all the way on the trailer.
    That's weird. I currently have a loading RPM issue with my Ballistic. Low RPM and once you try and load you better make sure that you are on good.

Did you have a great holeshot or was your Fury better? I assume you're talking about a Fury4 right?
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

4. Member
    The hole shot was great with both a three blade Fury and the Trophy. The Trophy was better at mid range response. There are very few days where you get the chance to run places like KY Lake WOT for long anyway. I traded that boat back in 2016 and have ran the little 115 with a Laser 2 since. I have never tried the Fury 4. I think it came out about the time I traded to an aluminium boat?

5. DINK CATCHER
    Yeah, a 4 blade will generally make a motor bog down when loading. What it will do for you in a lot of cases when going down the lake can make that little loading obstacle worth it. A Trophy on that CT case should carry that boat nicely. Wish like everything Yamaha offered a case like that because my H18 could really benefit from the bigger prop especially considering how it's loaded to fish.

On the plugs I'd start with 4 solid plugs and then have a drill with the full range of bit sizes to dial it in. You obviously don't want it to be a pig out of the hole but you don't want it to blow like a sperm whale out of the hole either. Your best bet is to use a ramp that doesn't see much traffic and have someone with you who can handle a truck and trailer to pull you in and out of the lake as much as needed to dial in the setup. If you normally fish with people make sure they're in the boat when dialing things in because setup for you by yourself vs with a partner(s) can be very different.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO that's optioned to fit my wants and pulled by a little Ram.

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

6. Member
    I was not happy with a 23 three blade tempest on my current 2017 198P with a 150 2-Stroke Merc. I bought a 21 Trophy and it's perfect. I run the boat fully loaded all the time. It has a perfect hole shot. I can run the boat on plane at 25 mph in rough water. The 4 blade carries the bow with ease as you trim the motor up. It runs 54mph year round at 5600 rpms. I had an Allison XB2003 for 20 years prior to the 198P. I bought it brand new with a 225 Mariner Super Mag. It ran perfectly with a 26 trophy and 83mph. I repowered the Allison with a 280SS short shaft Merc with a stock sport master. I went through a half dozen, "These are the best Props out there" The best prop for the boat was an Allison Cut 26 Trophy. Boat drove like a Dream. 89mph fully loaded for tournament fishing at 7800rpms. Yes, mercury engineers did and amazing job in the design of the Trophy Plus for a broad range of boat and power applications.

Excellent insights and tips guys. I will be trying out my setup the day after tomorrow, am going to start solidly plugged without a hub ring, see how I fare out and report back.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

Quote Originally Posted by kacordy View Post
    I was not happy with a 23 three blade tempest on my current 2017 198P with a 150 2-Stroke Merc. I bought a 21 Trophy and it's perfect. I run the boat fully loaded all the time. It has a perfect hole shot. I can run the boat on plane at 25 mph in rough water. The 4 blade carries the bow with ease as you trim the motor up. It runs 54mph year round at 5600 rpms. I had an Allison XB2003 for 20 years prior to the 198P. I bought it brand new with a 225 Mariner Super Mag. It ran perfectly with a 26 trophy and 83mph. I repowered the Allison with a 280SS short shaft Merc with a stock sport master. I went through a half dozen, "These are the best Props out there" The best prop for the boat was an Allison Cut 26 Trophy. Boat drove like a Dream. 89mph fully loaded for tournament fishing at 7800rpms. Yes, mercury engineers did and amazing job in the design of the Trophy Plus for a broad range of boat and power applications.
    Do you run yours with or without a hub ring?
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

9. Member
    I run the stock 21 Trophy with no vent holes. Plugs are in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    I run a Jack Plate. Setting the motor back is another big Key. The up and down Hydraulic Jack plate adjustment adds zero performance to this rig. Moving the motor back allows the bow the carry itself without much trim input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kacordy View Post
    I run a Jack Plate. Setting the motor back is another big Key. The up and down Hydraulic Jack plate adjustment adds zero performance to this rig. Moving the motor back allows the bow the carry itself without much trim input.
    I got a 6" jackplate on mine. The performance differences with it vs without it are stark.

I appreciate the photos. They always help!
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

Results on mine were less than stellar. A 24 pitch Trophy Plus on my rig was the equivalent of my 22 pitch Tempest getting me 6450 @ a top speed of 50 MPH. I legitimately think that if I was to run a 4 blade Trophy Plus I would need a 25 pitch to run at the right RPM and it might even get a touch more speed out of it. Holeshot was less than stellar at 5.8 seconds timed and there was a considerable amount of cavitation once break over would occur which I think was hurting holeshot time. PVS holes closed.

Results: I don't think the Trophy Plus is the right prop for the command thrust lower of this rig. The only x factor which I never tried was a hub ring but that would negate the over the hub exhaust benefits that the prop is made for. I'm wondering if the Fury4 would benefit this setup better than a Trophy does.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

13. Member
    i normaly run a 4 blade aluminum Spitfire (19 pitch) on my 1625 Lund with a 75 Optimax and it gives me good holeshot and 37-39 mph @ wot, I also have a Trophy Plus (17 pitch and full plugs in) and although I lose about 1-3 mph @ wot, the holeshot is amazing and with a heavy load (3 people) out performs the Spitfire.