Thread: Recoil pads

Recoil pads

Finished up building that rifle for vintage Sniper matches. Fooled with some factory ammo for a bit and quickly found it sucked so went to hand loads.

Rifle shot exceptionally well for half arsing a load and not fine tuning the seating depth at all. Problem is I tried 185 jugs and am loading 43.5 of Varget. Shoots very well however it kicks my ass. Its like getting kicked in the shoulder over and over.

What says you? Get a better recoil pad or go lighter bullets with less charge. As is I could not make it through an entire match. ITs just hard to shy away from something that's shooting well and is a proven performer at longer ranges.

2. Member
    You could get a PAST pad and put it in the shoulder pocket of a shooting jacket/vest. Or just pin the pad inside your shirt. They also make the pad with elastic and pouch that goes over your shoulder.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB-Rev4 17P 2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer, Torsion axle/Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
    You could get a PAST pad and put it in the shoulder pocket of a shooting jacket/vest. Or just pin the pad inside your shirt. They also make the pad with elastic and pouch that goes over your shoulder.
    You did just remind me that I'll have that dang shooting jacket I don't want to wear for these matches.

4. Member
    I have a Pachmayer pad in my Kimber 84 M .308 and recoil is not bad at all.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

5. Member
    I cannot imagine that a load that is using 40ish grains of powder would be a hard kicker. My first thoughts are to suck it up. I remember being beat to death at first from a 30-06 with a steel buttplate but after a few long range sessions my shoulder toughened up and got used to it.

Now I have used limb saver pads on a few very harsh recoiling rifles and they helped a lot but I am not sure I would recommend them as they have become gummy over time and like to stick to the carpet in the safe. They do perform good though if you are ok with them getting gummy in ten years.

If you have a vintage rifle with a steel buttplate please consider using a slip on as collectors hate to see rubber where steel should be. If you are replacing a rock hard vintage pad go for it.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I cannot imagine that a load that is using 40ish grains of powder would be a hard kicker. My first thoughts are to suck it up. I remember being beat to death at first from a 30-06 with a steel buttplate but after a few long range sessions my shoulder toughened up and got used to it.

Now I have used limb saver pads on a few very harsh recoiling rifles and they helped a lot but I am not sure I would recommend them as they have become gummy over time and like to stick to the carpet in the safe. They do perform good though if you are ok with them getting gummy in ten years.

If you have a vintage rifle with a steel buttplate please consider using a slip on as collectors hate to see rubber where steel should be. If you are replacing a rock hard vintage pad go for it.
    I thought the same thing. I've shot matches with M1's and 1903's and never felt like I was getting beat up. Maybe I'm gotten soft from my 6.5 with a brake lol. With that said the butt pad on this thing is pretty hard. Ill be back out today. I'm shooting from a bench so maybe it was just the way I was setup vs how I typically shoot prone.

Or I'm just a puss HAHAHAHAHAHA

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post

What says you? Get a better recoil pad or go lighter bullets with less charge. As is I could not make it through an entire match. ITs just hard to shy away from something that's shooting well and is a proven performer at longer ranges.
    Limbsaver might do the trick but you might also consider the Backfire pad. I can't vouch for them but they seem to get generally good reviews. One feature is the anti-compression bracket that comes with it for upright storage. This might be of more value if you're a hunter and store your guns upright.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I thought the same thing. I've shot matches with M1's and 1903's and never felt like I was getting beat up. Maybe I'm gotten soft from my 6.5 with a brake lol. With that said the butt pad on this thing is pretty hard. Ill be back out today. I'm shooting from a bench so maybe it was just the way I was setup vs how I typically shoot prone.

Or I'm just a puss HAHAHAHAHAHA
    I got a Tikka lite in 6.5CM this year and I'm surprised at how unpleasant it is to shoot at the range. Even with that light round, the narrow butt and hard pad feels a little like a blade jabbing your shoulder. If I had a little more muscle over the bone it would probably help but I'm a beanpole
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

8. Member

9. Member
    LOL

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Limbsaver might do the trick but you might also consider the Backfire pad. I can't vouch for them but they seem to get generally good reviews. One feature is the anti-compression bracket that comes with it for upright storage. This might be of more value if you're a hunter and store your guns upright.

I got a Tikka lite in 6.5CM this year and I'm surprised at how unpleasant it is to shoot at the range. Even with that light round, the narrow butt and hard pad feels a little like a blade jabbing your shoulder. If I had a little more muscle over the bone it would probably help but I'm a beanpole
    I'm finding that it varies greatly in how I'm behind it. Trying to force the shots off a bench which isnt putting my body in good alignment seems to have caused a lot of the issue. was out today testing some different loads / seating and was prone. Felt like any other day out shooting. [URL="https://share.icloud.com/photos/0f6lG0TcFjWqxHl_Kj0P609xw"]https://share.icloud.com/photos/0f6lG0TcFjWqxHl_Kj0P609xw[/URL

11. Member
    I know from experience that shooting a DGR or other very harsh recoiling rifles that shooting from a bench sucks. The DGRs can flat out hurt you if you are not careful. Shooting from a sitting, standing, or kneeling position is much easier on the shoulder and removes much of the risk of being scoped if equipped.

Bench shooting is a necessary evil though as you can zero a rifle using far less precious ammunition than when shooting offhand.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

12. Member
    You could also shoot “free recoil” as long as you have a good gun rest. I have shot free recoil when shooting 1,000yd matches with 300 short mag.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB-Rev4 17P 2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer, Torsion axle/Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
    You could also shoot “free recoil” as long as you have a good gun rest. I have shot free recoil when shooting 1,000yd matches with 300 short mag.
    I much prefer free recoil. I'm just still learning the rifle as to that middle ground of being close enough to see and far enough away to not end up with stitches lol.

14. Member
    The rifle never truly makes you learn until it gets your brow.