1996 202 -- Need advise on repowering and set-up

My last boat was stolen 4 weeks ago here in Toronto. it was a 1999 193. I had just repowered with a new (2023) 200 hp VMax SHO, hydraulic jack plate, new hydraulic steering.

On the weekend I picked up my 2nd Champion, a 1996 202. And will be starting all over again. I need advise and people's experience re repowering. I am looking to go Yamaha SHO again. Need advise on HP 200 vs 225 vs 250? I would like to hear people's performance experience. No, I will not be flashing to 332 HP it as I participate in sanctioned tournaments. What jackplate set-up is recommended? Amount of setback? How have people made out with a fixed jackplate or none? which steering is best for new steering? I will be going lithium. probably single 60 amp/h 36 volt battery with a 52" Ultrex quest. I have not decided if I'll go new or used re yamaha and would like advise on buying a used SHO with a new powerhead? Thanks for the feedback.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Based on the information you provided, I would buy a 250 SHO. 6-8" plate. Hydro dynamics Rapid Jack Magnum or a Bob's Hydraulic would be my choice. Sea Star Hydraulic steering.
    Last edited by STLBassBuster; 08-12-2024 at 08:14 PM.

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I would go with the 250 SHO. Champion used a 6" Rapid Jack for a manual plate or Bob's for hydraulic. Personally, I'd stick with the manual plate. My 210 has SeaStar Pro steering. I'm not familiar with the newer brands. I would think that would be a mid 70s to low 80s boat. Start with the prop shaft about 3.5" below the pad and work from there 1/4" at a time for the optimum setup.

4. Member
    Definitely 250. I think I would go 10 inch jack plate to help offset the weight on the bow and the lithium swap. I have a ghost now. I’d go power pole move next time to take weight off the nose.

5. Member
    Go with a 250 for sure, I would recommend a Mercury 250 XB if you can find one, they are the most powerful 250 outboard ever made and since you have to leave it stock that is what I would get. If not find a 250 XS Optimax. I wouldn't run lithium batteries either, it kills your bow lift and top speed too mucn.

6. Member
    Pat Goff recommends a 8” plate on the 202. I’ve got a 202 with the 250pro xs 2 stroke detwiller but now seastar makes them I’d go back with one tomorrow if I was buying. I’ve got power poles and 47” 36 volt ultrex but the 52 would be a better fit if you rarely fish shallow. Group 27 batteries and X2 group 31 80lb starting battery. Power pole pumps in the driver rod locker along with a 100ah lithium for FFS and I carry a lot of tackle. Always got a passenger and I run 70-73 no matter what. Most important is a worked tempest prop. Pitch depends on your climate for sure. I live in south La where I need 3 props. 24,25,26. I use all 3. When it’s cold outside I usually fish alone and I run the 26 mid 70’s 76 being the fastest. Hands down a 80mph boat without the poles and set-up I run. Feel free to reach out. I’d really consider resealing the transom also. You can cancel that 24p. I’m sure your water temps doesn’t get into the 90’s and humidity at 100% along with air temps 90-100.
    Last edited by boboh110; 08-15-2024 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Misspelling

7. Member
    Uflex steering if I was going with all new steering also. Yea seastar is more common but the seals are always a issue. I’ve heard nothing but good about the uflex brand.

8. Member
    I upgraded my 1998 Champion 221 last year with a new 250 SHO .... my first Yamaha. Replaced the original merc 225 efi. New Seastar steering. 8" Bob's hydraulic jack plate to replace the 8" manual rapid jack. Lithium trolling motor batteries to offset the 50 lbs added weight of the engine. I just love it. So smooth, jumps out of the hole and runs almost perfectly level at mid-range. I agree with TXChamp on the manual jack plate. I set my hydraulic once and never moved it. I would do all of the rest again for sure.