Thread: Barren ?

Barren ?

Today I had some free time so I rode the bike over to Barren. I've never been there before. I think I will fish it some this fall but I'm kinda bewildered by it . I normally fish Old Hickory and this lake appears to be much more clear and also a highland rocky type. How to proceed ? Do I need to stick to finesse type fishing ? Main lake points or by mid September will there be fish pushing shad back in the creeks. I honestly have absolutely no idea which direction to even start. I think I will put in at the state park off of HY31 ? I think that is the closest to me. It looks to be deep and maybe safer to move around on.
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Member
    There are a lot of old BFL summaries from September tournaments on Barren. That would get you a decent starting point.

3. Member
    Thank you. Not really familiar with bfl organization but I will see if I can find some info that way.
    GETFISHED !!!

It is not as deep as it looks nor is it often as clear as it might be now. In September, probably more deep but you will want to look back in the creeks too. If you are going above Beaver Creek in Skaggs, past the first bridge in Peters, or past Walnut Creek in the main river arm, pay attention to your graphs and watch for trees and stick ups. It is definitely not deep in these areas and all of them hold standing trees and snags. Hope this helps, good luck
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

5. Member
    Thank you. I'm going to get a paper map. Looks like it's a pretty good boat ride to some creeks from the state park. I may locate a ramp closer to the creeks I may want to look at.

are the main or secondary points worth spending time on in September ?
    GETFISHED !!!

Walnut Creek is pretty close to the State Park ramp. Points, drops, and road beds are always worth trying at Barren.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke