1st witnessed hole in one

Played yesterday. Shot another 81. My front nines are killing me and I cannot figure out why. Think I just need more reps. But went 42 front and 39 back. It's an odd thing, I will start off hot, struggle through holes 3-8 and then on 9 its almost like I know I am about to go into a 9 hole stretch where I am going to play really well. I 3 putted one hole and missed 2 greens that led to my 39. Couldn't buy a birdie yesterday, and that hurt. But I do not struggle with any shots on the back 9. Holes 3-8, I am finding a pattern of loss of concentration, or lack of ability to make clean contact, its pretty darn annoying. I am pretty good at keeping calm and working through bad shots. I dont let 1 bad hole really get to my mental. I am in a profession that demands calmness through really tense high stress situations, so a white golf ball doesn't make me so upset, like I see with some people on the course.

The coolest thing happened though, played with 2 guys (in their late 70's or early 80's). It would take 3 shots to get to my drive, but they were super cool and I love playing with older people because the stories and wisdom that comes with that 4-5 hours spending together. Anyways on hole 9, 195 out, I smash a 5 iron to like 35 feet (too much club and dont know how but it was). The old man steps up with his 5w, says I think this is a really good yardage for this club. Hits it, lands short but is rolling up to the green. As it gets to the green, I am even thinking to myself, this has a really good chance and then it disappears. I shout, HOLE IN ONE, the old men say they can't even see that far, not excited at all. I tear off with my golf cart, run right up to the hole and throw my hands in the air for the old guy, hes in disbelief as he had been playing for 42 years and it was his first. It certainly is the first I have ever witnessed and I have been within inches of getting my own, but never actually made a hole in one. I have a 1 double eagle on a par 5 and it was actually a terrible shot, that ended up really really lucky. We took lots of pictures, everyone celebrated high fives, it was pretty neat little thing to watch for him and be apart of.

Leads me to this question, how many hole in ones have you made and how many have you witnessed? Wasn't even mine and I was pumped when I saw it happen. Ive played some golf in my life, but still had never seen one happen.

That would be really cool to see.
    I haven't ever had one, closest was about 1' to the hole and that was a luck shot years ago.
    Hell Im just happy to get on the green on a par 3

3. Member
    It is cool to see one. Lucky to have had one last summer.

Play with a 91 year old who has had a bunch, mostly recently a couple years ago. Two of our par 3’s are about 125 and 135 respectively, downhill with no water or sand in the line. He just hits it and lets it run. Saw him lip on out in July.

4. Fishing is a Passion
    I have been playing golf for 55 years. I have never had a hole in one, but I also have had a double eagle. Witnessed 2.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

5. Member
    That is a cool story. I've never had one or witnessed one. I have come within a foot a couple of times and sank my second shot on a par 4 from about 110 yards a few years ago.

6. Member
    I've had two Aces, one in 2006 and my second last year. Never seen any others and never seen an albatross. As for concentration, try eating a powerbar on the 5th and 13th holes. I've found I fatigue mentally without realizing it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmy-rt188p View Post
    I've had two Aces, one in 2006 and my second last year. Never seen any others and never seen an albatross. As for concentration, try eating a powerbar on the 5th and 13th holes. I've found I fatigue mentally without realizing it.
    Ya i need to figure out where the mental break is. I play again real early on monday before we have people over for a bbq. I am going to try and really pay attention on that stretch. Seems like I gather it back up for the back nine, struggle through the front. Which seems backwards if it was fatigue, but you might be onto something here as I usually spend an hour warming up. Putt for 25 min, chip for 20, and hit a small/medium bucket right before I tee off. Usually I go into the first tee box very confident and ready to go. Holes 1 and 2 are always great, then I fall apart for 5-6 holes, and then its glorious after that. I was looking at my score card from the other day and I went 9-14 all pars and greens in regulation and just hit the ball well. Only missed 1 fairway through that stretch and it was a very small miss, still hitting out of light rough. So I really get it together again. All those holes were birdie opportunities, just couldn't get one to go in.

8. Fishing is a Passion
    The course I play now for 4 years and my prior course 15yrs. Did not have any driving range, nice putting green and area you could chip. I am used to walking up to #1 tee and grip and rip, usually in the fairway. Nearest range is 30min. Have to work on the game on the course.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

Made none, witnessed three!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    Have to work on the game on the course.
    This right here is key.... The last 2 rounds, Ill be the first to admit that I will occasionally play a second shot just to get reps. I dont score that ball and always play original ball and score original shot, but I am not playing tournaments or for money... If i can practice a shot on the course, I am going to. Sometimes you cannot mimic shots seen on course on the range, so if I have the time or opportunity to make a second shot to correct an error, I am going to try and make that happen.