Lake Erie - Sandusky area

Driving the boat up to Sandusky this weekend to fish for smallmouth for the first time. Should I launch and fish around the area- johnson, cedar point? Or is my best bet to head up to Catawba/kelleys island area? If the latter would you recommending driving up and launching from somewhere in that area? Thanks for any info!
    2023 Puma STS
    2020 Skeeter ZX225

Catawba Island State Park ramp for South Bass Island

Mazurik Access for Kellys Island

Watch the wind forecasts along with the marine wave forecasts.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=42.5;-85.0;5&l=wind-10m

https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=lez143

3. Member
    east west harbor and sandusky bay and portage river all good back up plans if weather gets rough will be LM mostly though
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    This time of year, with main lake water temp around 80 degrees, the farther north and deeper you can fish, the better. Of course, being Labor Day weekend, boat traffic will be insane. Anything around Sandusky Bay will be churned to a froth, and Kelley’s Island area will also have unbelievable boat wakes. I wish you luck, but you’re gonna need a bigger boat! If you head out early from Catawba launch area and go directly to North Bass Island and fish there, you’ll avoid the worst boat traffic until you return. Anywhere you can see Cedar Point or Kelley’s Island will be rougher than you can imagine, like a washing machine. If I was determined to fish for smallmouth this weekend, I’d get a temporary Ontario license and go to Pelee Island area. Depending upon wind, you’ll have a longish run in some waves, but waves are much easier to run than thousands of boat wakes.

5. Member
    Thanks everyone much appreciated. Fishing on a holiday weekend isn't usually the best but will have to work with it. That ventusky site is legit, thanks for that as well!
    2023 Puma STS
    2020 Skeeter ZX225

Mouth of Sandusky bay by Cedar Point always seems to hold some smallmouth. The Islands always hold resident fish as well. The problem is going to be the boat traffic. Be careful. You will have big waves coming from every direction and they aren't something you can read and run well. I have a numerous videos from the area on our channel. You will just have to scroll through until you find what your looking for.

7. Member
    Not to beat a dead horse, but adding to the above you also can’t believe some of the idiotic boat driving you’ll see around Cedar Point and marina entrances on the Sandusky side. It’s one thing to contend with boat wakes from boats long past, and another to have a 30-foot cruiser cut in front of you 50 feet away. A bass boat can easily take one over the bow on a bright, calm day in holiday traffic near Sandusky/Port Clinton. Hopefully not really dangerous, but best to be prepared.

8. Member
    I took everyones advice and avoided Cedar point. Ended up launching out of Catawba Island State Park and headed to the islands on friday/saturday. While there were some impressive waves, it was manageable at low speeds. Caught some small mouth and a couple drum, so good trip over all. Sunday was a wash with the wind, tried to fish in the bay some but couldnt put anything together with the traffic and waves. Def a beautiful area, would like to make another trip during prime fishing conditions.
    2023 Puma STS
    2020 Skeeter ZX225

Quote Originally Posted by xxstang90 View Post
    I took everyones advice and avoided Cedar point. Ended up launching out of Catawba Island State Park and headed to the islands on friday/saturday. While there were some impressive waves, it was manageable at low speeds. Caught some small mouth and a couple drum, so good trip over all. Sunday was a wash with the wind, tried to fish in the bay some but couldnt put anything together with the traffic and waves. Def a beautiful area, would like to make another trip during prime fishing conditions.
    Thanks for the report. That Catawba ramp is a nice ramp. Quickest way to get to the islands.