Thread: Safety chains

Safety chains

When hooking to tow vehicle, do you cross the chains or not. Does it matter?. I remember doing this growing up on john boats, but I thought it was only because they were too long.

2. Member
    I always cross them. Maybe they will catch the tongue if it comes unhitched before it hits the ground? I also have not had chains in a very long time. Most things come with cables today.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I always cross them. Maybe they will catch the tongue if it comes unhitched before it hits the ground? I also have not had chains in a very long time. Most things come with cables today.
    Lol true. I can see it catching the tongue.

In some states it's a law to cross them.

The "Crossing" of chains was to catch the tongue should it come off and not allow it to hit the ground. HOWEVER, make sure that it will not be shorter than the brake-away cable or it will not activate the brakes incase the trailer becomes disconnected.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Vatrer Lithium / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    Every trailer I have towed I crossed the chains, except my bass boat trailer has the cables and I have never crossed them. I have no idea why I don't
    2020 Ford F150 Raptor (100,000 miles)
    2021 Nitro Z19 200 ProXS. Ultrex Quest Helix 12 helix 8

7. Member
    Never crossed the chains or cables in 50 years towing

8. Member
    Oh man. This is one of those questions where there isn't necessarily a right or wrong answer.
    Which means around here you're gonna get a ton of "muh diddy always crossed the chains so I cross them too!"

Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    Oh man. This is one of those questions where there isn't necessarily a right or wrong answer.
    Which means around here you're gonna get a ton of "muh diddy always crossed the chains so I cross them too!"
    When my daddy was alive they didn't put safety chains on trailers.
    I do it because it works when done properly not to mention it is the law in Texas.
    According to the DPS officer who pulled me over for no turn signal and issued a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramos26 View Post
    Every trailer I have towed I crossed the chains, except my bass boat trailer has the cables and I have never crossed them. I have no idea why I don't
    Funny you brought that up because maid me think about it. I believe if that if you cross cables once and then unhook them they stayed crossed because of the way they cross each other at the top if that makes sense.

11. Member
    My Mentor years ago had his trailer come off the ball (He got in a hurry) and the crossed chains caught it. In Texas it is the law, $350 fine if your caught.

12. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I crossed my chains all the time for the reason stated above, if it comes off the trailer the chains will hold it off the road,but just recently changed to cables and they do not seem to cross effectively so don't know what to do
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

13. Member
    Mine are coiled cables and originate from the same location under the tongue of the trailer. I guess crossing them wouldn’t have much of an effect.

14. Member
    My chains are bolted to the same spot right behind the coupler, so crossing doesn't really matter so much.
    1985 Skeeter SF-175 & 1985 Evinrude 150 XP (with VRO removed)
    2x Humminbird 1199 with Humminbird 360 and Side Imagng
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv with LVS32
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 45" DCS Advanced GPS
    Millennium Spyderlok Crappie Rod holders