Thread: Oil pump prime

Oil pump prime

175 optimax pro xs
    sn 1B698699
    I've read it a couple of times here but I'm assuming 1 prime sequence is more than enough to take a dry oil pump and purge all the air out? I get a little nervous when it comes to oil. When I started it (the prime) it was kinda loud and I heard it when the oil hit it...looks.like it dropped the reservoir about 3oz that the manual said it should.
    Last edited by Ganno595; 09-12-2024 at 11:52 AM.

2. Member
    also lets say someone were to feel more comfortable using the power tune on the lines to ensure they stayed put, but has already put them on and performed a prime. is the best course of action to take it out and run it for a few to clear the oil in it then redo the connections? or am i over thinking things and the zip ties are fine?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you feel you need to disconnect lines, run the engine for a few minutes (even if it needs to be on the flush attachment).

DON'T run multiple oil pump primes without running the engine in between.

One sequence (performed properly) is sufficient.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    okay so a flush attachment run is enough to clear the crankcase? or at least clear it enough for another prime?

5. Member
    yes , let it run for few minutes
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................