Thread: Steering torque

Steering torque

200 sho on a 518 ranger. I can run my sho a lot higher than the opti. Is there a torque tab with a fin that would fit my cavitation plate instead of the flush one that came on it. Heard the sho’s like to run higher. Anybody noticed this. I get some steering torque when trimmed out. Rooster tail no higher than my cowling

2. Member
    Is the boat easier to turn to the right or to the left?

Easier to the right would be typical when trimmed down. Left when trimmed up.

Normally as you trim up the steering effort becomes balanced at or about the point where the propeller shaft is horizontal to the surface of the water. Which in a number of cases provides best boat speed.

Is your best boat speed found at the fully trimmed up position?

3. Member
    To answer your question directly, 61A-45371-00-00 is the trim tab anode with a fin. I suspect that it will fit your lower unit.

4. Member
    I find it runs best at 90% trim. If I remember right it wants to go right. But with hydraulic steering it’s not to bad. I don’t run at this speed much but on my old ox 66 I added a torque tab to the skeg and it helped a lot. Don’t want to drill holes in a new lower unit

5. Member
    That tab won’t work. Mine mounts from the bottom and fin would hit the prop. Looking for other ideas now

6. Member
    My Skeeter ZXR 20 with a Yamaha SHO loves to run high for speed and very minimal chine walk but I noticed when I have the jack plate up high like that steering gets very stiff. I can lower the jack plate some then the steering gets nice and loose again but some of the chine walk comes back. I basically set the jack plate height to as high as I can get and still have the nice and easy steering at high speeds.

7. Member
    I will play with that

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    That tab won’t work. Mine mounts from the bottom and fin would hit the prop. Looking for other ideas now
    The fin I mentioned also mounts from the bottom.

I don't know if it will work.

What I do know is that on other 4.2 liter models, having a different gear case than does the SHO, the fin will work as a replacement for the scoop anode that does not have a fin.

9. Member
    Given the skeg design for the VF200LA/VF225LA/VF250LA models I can envision how the engine mounting height and trim angle could affect the steering effort that may be felt.