Getting the urge again

I bought my 2012 Yamaha Star 950 a little over a year ago. Drove by it for sale one time too many. After 20 years of not riding it was super to get back to riding again.

Saturday I went to a memorial ride and it triggered the urge to get another bigger/better bike.

It's going to be a while before I can make the change which is probably a good thing since I don't really know what I want. For the most part I want something with more cubic inches, more creature comforts and for my wife to be able to ride with comfort with me.

There are so many Harley models and I don't really know anything about any of them. Some day it's gonna be fun though when the shopping starts.
    GETFISHED !!!

Start shopping now then. You'll have all the time in the world to attend demo rides, dealer days and everything else to look them all over..

3. Member
    The search is the beginning of the fun. Research, research research. Then do some more researching before you decide. A good motorcycle will pick/find you.

4. Member
    Good luck in your shopping!! Lot of nice cruisers in all the major bike brands.

5. Member
    I have had 3 different Harley models and have loved all of them! One suggestion would be is to go rent one for the day and have your wife come along! This way you can ensure she likes it as well! You mentioned her riding with you so it would be a good idea she feels comfortable on the bike with you! Because if not you will be riding solo and that's not necessarily a bad thing!
    Good Luck

6. Member
    Good luck with your shopping. As stated take the wife along as hopefully she will at least ride with you sometimes. Nothing wrong with riding along either, especially short rides for 2-4 hours. Nothing like a relaxing ride through the mountains with streams and beautiful scenery with lunch on the river, great therapy.

7. Member
    Yesterday I was looking on Craigslist and I was kinda overwhelmed. Lots of different Harley models. I don't really know what any of them are. In other words, did they make all these models every year or not ?

Looks to me like they hold their value better than other brands. It also looks like
    I better plan on spending more than I thought LOL as I will be wanting some of the newer technology.

It's going to be a while before I get serious but it looks like I may need to keep my Yamaha Star950 for cruising around here locally. My hope is to get a well equipped ride that I can actually do some traveling with.

I can't believe how much I enjoy riding the bike I have now.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but it seems like some bikes are just fugly.

Anyway, I definitely need to learn a lot about the different models to see what makes sense for me. Another question I have is about the drive train. Are they all good? Some better than others ?
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    HD= Hundreds of Dollars.

Most of their models have been around for a while with minor upgrades like larger CC engines, GPS, or anti lock brakes, the two Electra's I have owned were great touring machines. I miss my old Tri-Glide, just too cheap to spring for another. The ultimate tourer is likely a Gold Wing.

I have a 07 Goldwing and Bushtec trailer for sale.......
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Perez View Post
    I have had 3 different Harley models and have loved all of them! One suggestion would be is to go rent one for the day and have your wife come along! This way you can ensure she likes it as well! You mentioned her riding with you so it would be a good idea she feels comfortable on the bike with you! Because if not you will be riding solo and that's not necessarily a bad thing!
    Good Luck

11. Member
    Fished,
    I’m brand new to this forum, but understand the excitement in rediscovering an older hobby. I’ve been riding for over 45 years, consistently, and just bought my first boat, after having grown up around them. I currently own mostly Triumphs, after 3 decades of every era and class of HD, so I can share many experiences, good and bad. I’ve got way more to offer in the MC area, than I ever will with boats or fishing, but I hope to learn as well as help out. Good luck with your search.