Siphoning fuel - Sabre FTD

Due to some unforeseen circumstances I’ve reached a point where I’m probably going to need to drain the fuel tank on my 2007 Sabre FTD. The boat hasn’t been out in over a year.
    Non-ethanol 87 octane fuel with Quickleen and Quickare added, but the current fill of approx. 25 gallons is just over 1 years old.
    Looking for recommendations on the best way to drain the tank and start with fresh fuel.
    What’s the best way to drain the tank without making a mess???
    Any suggestions are appreciated.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

When I had to empty my fuel tank, I used a self priming siphon hose through the fuel filler door. Took a while, but it did the job.

Similar to this: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...-transfer-hose
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

3. Member
    I disconnect the fuel line that goes to the engine from the fitting on the gas tank and attach a 3/8” fuel line that goes to a Carter P4070 12v fuel pump, powered by a 9ah power sport battery. I have the pump, battery and a switch mounted in a plastic battery box. It pumps fuel faster than a siphon setup and gets practically all of the fuel out of the tank. I've used it for transferring fuel in other situations. Entire setup was under $100. Otherwise, use a siphon hose.

4. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    When I worked PT at a boat dealer we just unhooked at the tank and used a pump to pump it off into a big barrel like Ted described.

6. Member
    Not sure if you'd be able to do it with your engine/fuel line set up but disconnect at the motor and just pump the bulb...if you need more line to reach a gas can then a double barb fitting and some more fuel line.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Not sure if you'd be able to do it with your engine/fuel line set up but disconnect at the motor and just pump the bulb...if you need more line to reach a gas can then a double barb fitting and some more fuel line.
    This is the plan. Seems the simplest. Thank you for the suggestion.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

A hose inserted in the fuel fill should work fine on a 2007 model.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    A hose inserted in the fuel fill should work fine on a 2007 model.
    I have a HF shaker hose I was going to try, but it was a tight fit going in I that thought it might get stuck so I stopped. Similar to the one described in post #2. IDK. It’s right at 3/4 of a tank that was treated with a double shot of fuel stabilizer before I let the boat sit. My OB mechanic here in Texarkana said run it, just not hard, until I make a little room for some fresh fuel. I’m thinking I’m going to chance it and go for a run tomorrow.
    Last edited by RazorCat; 09-16-2024 at 08:47 AM.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

If it's shocked, it should be fine. We years ago started suggesting that boats be stored without fuel, rather than the old method of topping everything off. The Ethanol has led to many more problems than humidity in the tanks.

BCB