Smartcraft resistors question

SN 2B486806 I installed the SC1000 Tachometer as the only gauge using a male to male adaptor. I extended that adaptor to 10 feet. It seems to be working fine. Neither cable has a terminating resistor. Do I need to add one? If so do I put it between the blue and white wires at the end of the male to male adaptor that I lengthened?

2. Member
    Additional information: This is connected at the helm. The termination resistor at the motor is installed.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you're connected to a Mercury 14 pin harness at the helm, check the harness for a blue cap (looks about the side of a fuse holder) up under the dash or near the keyswitch/harness. Most OEM Mercury 14-pin harnesses come with a different style helm-end terminator (two pin) that's already installed on the harness.

NOTE: THIS APPLIES ONLY TO OEM MERCURY HARNESSES. Not sure what was used in your Thunder-Jet.

Moving your post to the 4-stroke forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    This boat has a Vevor throttle control that has a 10 pin gauge connection plug coming out of the controller. That's where I connected the 10 pin male to male adaptor connecting directly to the SC1000 tach harness. The Part # 84-8M0055044 Harness-Tach-V6.0 has two wires going into a cap that could be a resistor.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No sir- no resistor there.

Disconnect your aftermarket control's harness from the engine. Test resistance between blue wire and white wire at junction adapter.

Open Lead: You need a j-box and terminating resistor.

120 ohms: No additional resistor required.

NOTE: Take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the forum. We're glad to provide top-notch support here for OEM, Dealer-purchased product. We don't support the 'bay, the 'zon, or any items purchased there. Good thing to keep in mind when making purchases.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thank you for the advice. New to the forum happy to buy from the dealer in the future.