Thread: Heading Sensor

Heading Sensor

I have a Ethernet box but its full it would be cheaper to buy just another heading gps sensor Than Ethernet box and cables. Question is would two heading sensors right next to each other cause any issues.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

Explain your entire electronics setup.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/Advanced, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I don't understand why adding a Heading Sensor would have anything to do with a 5 Port Switch decision.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    A heading sensor operates on a NMEA2K backbone which is a completely separate setup than anything networked. Examples of true heading sensors would be the Lowrance Point-1 or the Garmin 24XD. The Garmin Steady Cast device is a heading device, but it lacks GPS connectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    A heading sensor operates on a NMEA2K backbone which is a completely separate setup than anything networked. Examples of true heading sensors would be the Lowrance Point-1 or the Garmin 24XD. The Garmin Steady Cast device is a heading device, but it lacks GPS connectivity.
    Humminbird's heading sensor is a combo with GPS and connects directly to and is powered by a display. AS GPS HS
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/Advanced, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    I have a network and its full. I recently added a Helix 12 to bow with 360 and mega live. My thinking instead of adding another Ethernet box to basically just to share things could I not just add another heading sensor to connect to the 12 not interested in sharing waypoints from the 12 its a stand alone unit just for 360 and mega live is all its used for.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

7. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lamoon78 View Post
    I have a network and its full. I recently added a Helix 12 to bow with 360 and mega live. My thinking instead of adding another Ethernet box to basically just to share things could I not just add another heading sensor to connect to the 12 not interested in sharing waypoints from the 12 its a stand alone unit just for 360 and mega live is all its used for.
    If you don't network everything, you are just asking for trouble from a Sonar crosstalk standpoint.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

8. Member
    I have 3 G2N 10’s Helix they have been networked. I added a Helix 12 G4N a 360 and mega live. Currently the 12 360 and mega live are stand alone. Can you Ethernet all these together without issues due to 3 units being G2’s
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    If you don't network everything, you are just asking for trouble from a Sonar crosstalk standpoint.
    So true as I am dealing with this now as the only way I can get my Mega Live and Target Lock to work like it should all day is to separate it from network. When everything was connected I would constantly get trolling motor connect / disconnect and would make target lock drop out and stop working. When I have stand alone unit with just trolling motor and ML/TL connect nothing ever drops or says disconnect / connect.

Now that it is stand alone I have to shut Apex 16 off at console and stop sonar on other apex 13 at bow to get ML image to clear up.

10. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar76 View Post
    So true as I am dealing with this now as the only way I can get my Mega Live and Target Lock to work like it should all day is to separate it from network. When everything was connected I would constantly get trolling motor connect / disconnect and would make target lock drop out and stop working. When I have stand alone unit with just trolling motor and ML/TL connect nothing ever drops or says disconnect / connect.

Now that it is stand alone I have to shut Apex 16 off at console and stop sonar on other apex 13 at bow to get ML image to clear up.
    I had the trolling motor disconnect/connect issue with my Ulterra Quest motor and it was driving me crazy. As it turns out, one of my cables wasn't tight on the 5-Port Switch. A failing port on a 5-port switch can also cause this issue.

11. Member
    I guess no answer for my question and I explained my setup in my last post but someone jumped in and threw it off.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

12. Member
    You had pertinent answers from several people. The main part is no you cannot have sonar that is not part of the network as the sonar will not be synched with each other to prevent crosstalk. I will add the sentiment seems to say “if you need to use the stuff you have and add to it just buy another switch”. It costs a small amount more than the Heading sensor,but should solve your situation. Probably 2 more ethernet cables as well. JMO Bob
    Item B. If you still want another heading sensor; the following link(page 9 in particular) will tell you about magnetic interference. The distance between the 2 compasses might be critical. Link: https://johnsonoutdoors.widen.net/co...ory-Manual.pdf
    Last edited by bobcoy; 09-13-2024 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Added the gps-HS instal doc.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    You had pertinent answers from several people. The main part is no you cannot have sonar that is not part of the network as the sonar will not be synched with each other to prevent crosstalk. I will add the sentiment seems to say “if you need to use the stuff you have and add to it just buy another switch”. It costs a small amount more than the Heading sensor,but should solve your situation. Probably 2 more ethernet cables as well. JMO Bob
    Item B. If you still want another heading sensor; the following link(page 9 in particular) will tell you about magnetic interference. The distance between the 2 compasses might be critical. Link: https://johnsonoutdoors.widen.net/co...ory-Manual.pdf
    Sonar had nothing to do with my question but thanks read it next time before responding.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

14. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Sonar had nothing to do with my question but thanks read it next time before responding.
    I totally disagree with you here. When you explained more about what is going on, you indicated that you might not netowrk everything. The only way Humminbird can manage sonar crosstalk is to be able to "see" all of the sonar sources across the network. If your Mega Live isn't on the network with everything else, then you are just asking for crosstalk issues... which I had previously commented.

15. Member
    No worries. You will never get another response from me.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

16. Member
    It seems to me the proper question of the OP is:

"What are you trying to accomplish with this collection of hardware?"

Trying to make Randy's "Haul of Shame"?

Seriously, I don't see how any of us can help you without some idea of what you are wanting to do.

If it was me, I'd go fishing.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I don't think he knows what crosstalk is.