New To Me Javelin

Howdy folks,

I just got an '89 Javelin 378 with a Johnson GT 150. It looks like it has an oil injection system instead of doing a pre-mix. I have a few questions. Do I put regular 2 stroke oil in the reservoir and do you have any brand recommendations? What octane fuel should I use? I live in Austin, TX. It scares me a little bit that I could ruin my engine if the oil injector is not working properly. Does anyone have any insight or opinion on this? Could I just disconnect the oil injector and pre-mix the fuel? If so, what ratio? Am I worrying too much about something that basically always works? I appreciate any help you could offer. I'll post pics. once I get it out on the lake. Thank you very much!

Benjamin

On VRO systems of OMC engines, we have suggested running a little oil (100:1 or even 50:1) in the fuel. Over time we’ve seen those VRO pumps fail with regularity and they have no warning system. The extra mix oil is insurance should the VRO fail and it has kept several engines we know alive. Disconnecting the oil pump is another option, which we would still add extra oil on premix.

3. DINK CATCHER
    I would go premix on that engine 50:1. Friend of mine knows them inside and out and been pushed thousands of miles by a few different ones. They are thirsty but all of them were back then.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO that's optioned to fit my wants and pulled by a little Ram.

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

My first Bass boat was an '89 Javelin 378 with a 140 Johnson that had the VRO oil system. It worked great, but I did mix some oil in the gas just to be safe. Any TC3 2 stroke oil is fine and just use 87 octane gas. You can run an additive like Lucas Oil upper cylinder lubricant or Sea Foam.

Here was my 378 from back in the day:

Old Javelin 3-31-07.jpg
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS