All brands of hooks rust in boat compartments

I have a 04' 519VX and put in TH Titan foam and some plastic lure holders and when I hang hooks (all brands), jigs, cranks, frogs, and chatterbaits (no trailer) out to dry; they rust.

Not sure what to do or why it's happening. I mean i understand how rust forms. The Compartment seems dry. I'm at a loss.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Humminbird / Minn Kota

Maybe some damp rid? I usually keep the dry packets in the compartments I store tackle in.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

3. Member
    place some pennys in with them we used to do this in machine shops to keep tools from rusting might be worth a shot no guarantees

4. Member
    Leave the lid open stored Or take the stuff out

Condensation from humidity in the compartments.

Since there is no air flow, the condensation moisture takes longer to dry which causes things to rust quicker.

I recommend cracking open the compartment to keep air flowing to reduce this problem if you can.

6. Member
    I appreciate all the advice. Do some or all of you have to do this? Seems like for me this is a "this year" issue, but I don't know what is different.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Humminbird / Minn Kota

7. Member
    I had the same issue. Try rust-resistant hooks and a rust-inhibiting spray. Adding desiccant packs or a small dehumidifier can also help. Check for any hidden moisture or leaks in the compartment.

They make "no rust" plastic boxes with a special seal or maybe the material they use has some additive. Some are the size and made similar to the Plano 3700 boxes. I use them and they work.

I have never had anything rust in one of these type boxes. They work for me.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

9. Member
    It's only when I hang lures and hooks. Stuff in boxes is fine. All my boxes are either Spro with gasket or Plano Edge.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Humminbird / Minn Kota

10. Member
    If those are open cell foam (TW description says yes) you need to ditch them…..moisture/ condensation gets absorbed….just like a sponge.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    If those are open cell foam (TW description says yes) you need to ditch them…..moisture/ condensation gets absorbed….just like a sponge.
    Thank you. I'll try this first
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Mercury 150 Pro XS
    Humminbird / Minn Kota

To expand on the good advice TopgunZ521 posted, pennies in direct contact with the lid mounted hook hangers will act as an anode.

13. Member
    I use desiccant packs in my boxes. Only use the sealed boxes for hooks. Open my back lid every time I back the boat in. I live in a fairly dry climate so I’m sure that helps also. If I get some rust it’s because I left a salt infused bait on the hook.

As with the above open your lids when you come home. If that’s a possibility. I hang baits in my tackle compartment and have zero rust.

After fishing in a multi day tournament a few years back where it rained cats and dogs for 5 days straight I went to sealed/waterproof boxes for most everything. It sounds like your already there on that.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 09-21-2024 at 09:34 AM.

google rust prevention strips, I use VCI strips, never any signs of rust, change them out late fall every year
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. DINK CATCHER
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    They make "no rust" plastic boxes with a special seal or maybe the material they use has some additive. Some are the size and made similar to the Plano 3700 boxes. I use them and they work.

I have never had anything rust in one of these type boxes. They work for me.
    This is how I roll too.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO that's optioned to fit my wants and pulled by a little Ram.

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

16. Member
    Make sure your drain plug isn't clogged. I had water issues a while back and my drain plug was opening but no water was actually releasing. After I got it cleared a ton of water poured out of mine!
    2023 Puma STS
    2020 Skeeter ZX225

17. Member
    I use to have the same problem. I bought these and put one in every tackle box, and I no longer have any kind of rust on any of my hooks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ULSW13A...fed_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ULSW6FS...fed_asin_title
    USAF Retired 1981-2004
    Police Detective Retired 2004-2022

18. Member
    OP one thing I found that helps is taking a shop paper towel (The blue ones), folding it to meet the dimensions of my tackle box, and then simply setting it on top of my tackle and closing the tackle box. Remove the paper towel the next time you go out or even the next day. Just pulled a paper towel out of a box that had been in there since April.

This is especially useful after fishing in the rain.

Otherwise if you are dead set on using the hanger, I would just open your compartment for an hour or two when you get home/in a dry storage area.
    2005 Stratos 295 Pro XL w/ 2005 Mercury EFI 200hp 3.0L (Solas Lexor 4-Blade 24 pitch)
    Garmin Force Trolling Motor powered by 3 12v 100ah Dakota Lithium Batteries
    Garmin 106sv and 73sv at bow.
    Humminbird 1198c SI and Garmin 93sv at console
    2 8ft. Power Pole Blades w/ ONE Pump
    2 Lead Acids for starting and electronics w/ charge on the run system

19. Member
    My boat stays outside with a cover on it. After replacing a bunch of rusted lures, I started using the waterproof Plano boxes. That seems to have solved my problem. Lures that get used that day just get tossed in a cup holder, with the intent to put them back the next time out...some stay in that cupholder a loooong time.

20. Member
    Are the hooks steel? Are they ever around water?
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.