Thread: Well HELL

Well HELL

Looks like Im going to get to know my 04 200 a whole lot better real soon and my trim bouncing is now the least of my worries.
    I was out fishing wednesday cruising about 48mph and get to my first spot I slow down come off plane and its idling rough. Its been 10 months since I pulled plugs I figure they need re-gapped. Fish a while then fire up to go to next spot and this time coming off plane I hear a PINGGGG and shes runnin real rough now. I limp her back to the ramp and take it home.

I pulled plugs and did compression check. Port side all right at 120
    Stsrboard side bottom 120
    Center 0 - FML!
    Top 120
    No hole in the motor so thats goodish.
    Got a borescope will be here in the morning will inspect and come back with report of what I see and for advise.

Im not even sure what best case scenario is but fingers crossed thats what Ive got.
    Stay tuned. Haha
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

2. Member
    Yikes. Sorry. Really hate that.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

3. Member
    Well that sucks Anthony but i just went through it myself.

4. Member
    Yup it stinks but we play we pay
    Haha
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

5. Member
    So I got the scope down in there and no hole in the piston and it still connected to the crank as it moved down when I bumped the starter. Looks like the rings broke and a little damage to the edges of the piston. Walls are scored a bit.

I have not dug into a motor in alot of years but I think Im going to dive into this one.
    I found a dressed used powerhead from an 03 225. Seller states good compression of 125 on all 6 but its accross the country. Im thinking of making an offer and bolting it on and running it and rebuilding mine. I will then have a spare dressed powerhead and parts. I figure I will still be into it all less or equal to a remanned powerhead with spares. I dont have the dough to go remanned now anyway. Not the greatest pics but hope it gives an idea of what Im seeing
    I may be crazy and probably am.
    What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

6. Member
    Like I said its been a long time since doing this type of work and it was a 1971 302 out of a mustang but a motors a motor right?
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Factory manual read it three times and then start your disassembly.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Striperaddict View Post
    Like I said its been a long time since doing this type of work and it was a 1971 302 out of a mustang but a motors a motor right?
    no not always right!!! and it is an engine not a motor!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools