Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmcfatter View Post
    my blue waters aren't two seasons old and they are already doing what you are talking about the cheap ones doing.
    Does the lifetime warranty cover hazing or yellowing? Thought about installing BW Nav lights above the rub rail and wiring them under the TM like strega did his.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

2. Member
    May be a dumb question but how do you cut the strips and wire them? Some of the ones I have looked at are already pre-cut with a few inches of wire for connecting each one.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLifetimer View Post
    Strega: did you just use the adhesive on the back of the LED's to stick them to your boat, or something else with it? Looks great!
    They come with 3M adhesive, just peel and stick. I did however run a thin bead of #3 clear silicone over the top of them and where the wire connections are. The silicone protects them and helps hold them on. I also cleaned the area, where they were to be installed, with alcohol before I put them on. they are holding strong and working great! not bad for what I paid for them. The ones I put in all of the compartments are held on with double sided VHB tape. I'm going to put some in the live wells and white ones above the rub rail for night fishing for my next project.
    Last edited by strega; 10-08-2015 at 11:19 PM.
    2001 Ranger Comanche 520DVX
    Lowrance HDS Live Electronics
    Ghost Trolling Motor
    250 Pro XS Mercury
    Detwiler Hydraulic 4" jackplate
    3" below pad, 40 psi water at speed
    26P Fury, 2 solid vent plugs
    6000 rpm @ 70 mph GPS, Tournament load

Quote Originally Posted by Jraywheat View Post
    May be a dumb question but how do you cut the strips and wire them? Some of the ones I have looked at are already pre-cut with a few inches of wire for connecting each one.
    I bought the terminal ends that snap on the cut strips. You can cut the strips( with scissors) to whatever length you want and clip a new wired connector on that section to power it. the site I got my led strips from also sells terminals, dimmers, connectors and alot more for theses light systems.
    Ghost Trolling Motor
    250 Pro XS Mercury

So strega....I think I made a mistake I ordered a 2 of the led with contrller and extentions and extra led strips....when they got here I noticed they are ones to plug in the wall. So did you order that kind or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by lil red 02 View Post
    So strega....I think I made a mistake I ordered a 2 of the led with contrller and extentions and extra led strips....when they got here I noticed they are ones to plug in the wall. So did you order that kind or something else?
    look on the power supply and see if the output is 12V DC. if it is, then you can cut the power supply off and wire the lights to a 12VDC source. almost all LEDS are low voltaged DC, the ones I ordered did not come with a power supply. heres a link to the ones I got http://www.amazon.com
    Ghost Trolling Motor
    250 Pro XS Mercury

Thanks when I get done working today I will check it out.....this is what I bought because I figured I could change the colors depending on mood on my buggy and my truck and if they hold up then my boat....
    Amazon.com: NEWSTYLE 5M 5050SMD Waterproof 300LEDs RGB Flexible LED Strip Kit with 20-key Music Sound Sense IR Controller + 12V 5A Power Supply Color Changing via Beat of Music: Home Improvement

Thanks when I get done working today I will check it out.....this is what I bought because I figured I could change the colors depending on mood on my buggy and my truck and if they hold up then my boat....
    Amazon.com: NEWSTYLE 5M 5050SMD Waterproof 300LEDs RGB Flexible LED Strip Kit with 20-key Music Sound Sense IR Controller + 12V 5A Power Supply Color Changing via Beat of Music: Home Improvement
    Those will work with 12VDC power. The only difference is those have a white background and the ones I got have a black background. You can also cut them to whatever length you want as long as you have the wired terminal ends that snap on. Couple of suggestions; silicone where you cut the strips after you connect the terminals, helps waterproof them...( I use 100% clear silicone for bath and kitchens in the caulk tube from Lowes)... the stick'um tape they use isn't the best, use clear silicone to hold them in place if they are installed in a corner or go get some thin 3M VHB double sided tape, it works much better. I think I'm going to order more and do my trailer over the winter.
    Ghost Trolling Motor
    250 Pro XS Mercury

Thanks for all the help I will look today and check it out further, cant wait to start lighting the world up haha

10. Member
    Looks great...I had thought of saving money by going that way as well for my compartment lights...ordered the lights plus pinch connectors with wire leads...couldn't get them to work. Since the pieces were cut to length I took the time to solder each strip...took forever...and tested them with a 9 V battery. They all worked...spent more time to install them all in the boat...only 3 of the 8 worked...a little disappointed as it is now another job to do come spring. Glad your experience was better lol.

I hooked 2 of the 3 sets up to the wall socket last night and they worked so I hope they do when I put them on the battery

good luck with those. With a waterproof rating of IP65 they won't last very long. Might be fine in compartments but not on the decks. You'll be pulling it all off in a year or so. Just passing on my experience.You get what you pay for. Looks good though.

13. Catching Bass at 82mph! dclong9009's Avatar
    I hooked 2 of the 3 sets up to the wall socket last night and they worked so I hope they do when I put them on the battery
    Your comparing a 120v receptacle to a 12v battery?

I was referring to when someone said their strips didnt work that 2 sets did. I havent started to mess with them on 12v yet

Well I finally got around to putting some of the strips in the beed of my truck.
    Question while its hooked up to the battery the wire, switch, and fuse holder get hot even when they are not on. Any suggestions?

Looks great! I've got them and love them. I have the 5050 RGB. Change color and dimmer. For giggles I put one of my LED rolls in water for 2 days as a test and they still work flawlessly. Anything ever happens, they are cheap and easy to replace. They make snap connectors to attach them together without a big gap. Never notice the splice. Nothing against Blue Water because they are excellent.

17. Member
    Well I finally got around to putting some of the strips in the beed of my truck.
    Question while its hooked up to the battery the wire, switch, and fuse holder get hot even when they are not on. Any suggestions?
    Something is def wrong. Nothing should be hot...even when powered on.

I figured something was wrong, i have them diconnected at the fuse for the time being. Not sure if its a switch problem or to small of wire. I used speaker wire because I didnt think it had that much draw. When plugged up they work great so I dont think any of the splices can be hooked up backwards or anything. I figure it has to be pretty simple and staring me in the face but who knows.

19. Member
    Stupid question. I went to the site and they're sold in 5 meter or 16 something feet. If I wanted two 8 foot pieces, how would I add leads to the strip once I cut them in half? Would it require soldering?

20. BBC SPONSOR
    Nice job on the install!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast