Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Update - new poppet valve did not change the overheating problem. Water coming out the tell-tale is hot but the water coming out of the exhaust is cool. When on the lake I put the outboard in neutral and advanced the throttle to get the rpms up and held it there with no overheating problem and the temp stayed low. Is there a possibility of my motor being mounted too high? Outboard has a 25in shaft. Boat transom is a little over 25in with the main transom + the step (See photo attached). This is not including the very bottom where the drain plug is located.IMG_1784.JPG

2. Member
    Has that transducer been mounted in that same location since you took ownership of the boat?
    I'd Rather be Fishing

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Gill: Is the WARNING HORN SOUNDING? Very Important Question.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Warning horn is going off. Once I come off plane the horn will stop within 10 secs. I've tried removing the transducer, but it still would overheat.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill Reaper View Post
    Not sure because I don't have a gauge installed. I will get the mechanic to hook up a gauge to see,
    will tell you if its mounted too high
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I'd look into installing a gauge, gives you all kinds of good info. Wonder if you don't have a partial blockage somewhere. Also look into a cheap temperature gun. I picked one up at Rural King several years back for 10 bucks. Brought it to work and compared it to our expensive Fluke gun and it was almost dead on with the expensive one at normal distances. The good one shined when you started shooting longer distances. I found a bad thermostat in mine one time playing with it while on the hose in the driveway. It might tell you something by shooting head temps while it's running.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

7. Member
    ^^^^^^^^ agree
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Water pressure is just around 20 psi at wot and the alarm still comes on. If I don't go wide open I can run 32mph all day with no issue. Maybe I'll just run it like that until I replace the motor.

9. Member
    i feel you have a gasket problem below powerhead

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Gill:

This may be back-tracking, but what boat is this on, at what RPM's does the warning horn sound, how long have you owned the boat, and has it ever run properly at WOT for 30+ minutes for you personally, without a warning horn sounding?

If the answer to the last question above is "YES": Have there been ANY changes in the boat (equipment, batteries changed, Lithiums, Trolling Motor, Graphs, etc) since then?

It is possible that you are aerating the water supply in which case efficient cooling does not occur.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Its on a 2000 Dynasty Fishmaster 2300 Bay Boat. Alarm usually comes on around 5000 rpm. I can cruise around 4000-4500 rpm all day. I've had the boat fully rigged and running good for months before the overheating started. The only things that were changed on the outboard right before the overheating was the stator and trigger had to be replaced in Jan of 23. Then I had the fuel pump rebuilt in March of 23. About a month later is when it started overheating and I've been chasing this problem ever since.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    An no changes to ANY of the following:

-Depth Finders or Graphs
    -Side Imaging or other Transducers
    -Trolling Motor
    -Battery or Batteries
    -Anything greater than 50 lbs weight moved in the boat?

Is the boat TRAILERED or does it spend most of it's time in the water?

13. Member
    Nothing has changed. I had if full rigged and running fine. I can try and rearrange some of my batteries next time I'm out. I do have 5 lead acid batteries in my boat, but I've always had them in the boat.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Trailer stored or in water?

15. Member
    Kept on trailer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12