Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Loomis 844 GLX

2. Member
    I've been building my own rods for close to 10 years, and while I still have 4 of my old factory rods, there are only 2 that I still use. Both are old Shimano Magnumlite Speedmaster Fighting rods from the late 80's and early 90's. One is a 6'6" heavy power casting rod that I've caught a ton of fish on over the years. I still use it as a frog rod. Mostly for when I want to walk a frog around heavy cover, but it still gets the job done for pulling fish out of heavily matted vegetation. The only thing I've done to it, is replace the guides.

I also have a 5' 6" medium heavy power pistol grip fighting rod. I've replace the guides on it, and had to re epoxy the part of the reel seat. It's my in close spinnerbait rod. I may actually cry if it ever breaks. And if it does, I will surely be on E bay trying to find the exact same rod.

I do have an old pre Shimano G Loomis MBR 784C GL2 casting rod that I haven't used in years, but I plan on putting it back into service. Just need to get the guides put back on it. At the time that I bought it, at $140, it was the most expensive rod I'd ever owned. It's also the only G Loomis rod I've ever purchased. The majority of the rods I've built are built on North Fork Composites, blanks, which is Gary's company.

3. Member
    Original Falcon Cara Amistad, and head turner

4. Member
    I have a St Croix Premier 66MF that I bought around 1999/2000. This was my first "high end" rod and it caught me a ton of fish over the years. I rarely use it these days, but with all the memories its been part of, I can confidently say I would never part with it

Blue Fenwick Aetos 7' 5" MH Fast without question.

If you know anyone on earth that has one, I will buy all they have. Dead serious

Quote Originally Posted by evilcatfish View Post
    I have a St Croix Premier 66MF that I bought around 1999/2000. This was my first "high end" rod and it caught me a ton of fish over the years. I rarely use it these days, but with all the memories its been part of, I can confidently say I would never part with it
    believe my first St. Croix was a late 90’s 6’6” medium heavy fast casting. Caught a lot of fish on it, upgraded over the years but my first “quality rod” as well
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    '00 Tracker ProTeam 185 Special Edition
    '99 75 hp Merc ELPTO (ser. 0G837626)
    Minn Kota Terrova 80 w/Ipilot
    Helix 10 Sonar/GPS / bow 360 / RC-1
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3
    STRICTLY Shimano and St. Croix!!!!

7. Big Fish in a Small Pond hoohoorjoo's Avatar
    I have an old Fenwick rod that I had stripped and rewrapped with spiral wrapped guides. It is parabolic and ML power. It's such a fun rod.
    Last edited by hoohoorjoo; 06-28-2024 at 07:05 PM.
    The best revenge is to have enough self-worth not to seek it.

8. Member
    Love my 35 dollar allstar classic jerkbait rod I got from academy years ago. Best treble rod I've owned

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nowakezone View Post
    Original Falcon Cara Amistad, and head turner
    Add the Lizard Dragger I to that list for me.

10. Member
    Old Shimano Crucial spinnerbait rod

11. Member
    Mb x7 Super Eiger. Has now become my number 1 scope rod. Mid strolling. Paired with OG steez EX with Mb spool honey spool. Side Plate Mags from a T3 1016. A dream to cast. But the one rod can't give up. Kistler KlX 6'6 med light with core 51mg
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_VUE'S View Post
    Mb x7 Super Eiger. Has now become my number 1 scope rod. Mid strolling. Paired with OG steez EX with Mb spool honey spool. Side Plate Mags from a T3 1016. A dream to cast. But the one rod can't give up. Kistler KlX 6'6 med light with core 51mg
    Daaaayyyuuum... friggin' SICK!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I have had my share of higher end rods but I miss an old lightning rod that I broke 10 years or so ago. There was something about that individual $40 IM6 graphite rod that made it more sensitive and let it cast better than any rod I have had before or since.
    Agree - Agree. I love my Berkley Bionix rods. Model above the Lighting Rod. A resort owner stepped on and broke my favorite rod last year. Saturday stopped at a garage sale and he had some rods. Couldn’t believe my eyes, there was a 6’ Berkley Bionix spinning rod that looked brand new. Mind you, this rod was the first edition and close to 40 years old. Oh my! Got it for $15 and was very happy to pay that. He also had 3 Lighting Rods for $7 - $10. They’re mine now too!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowafuzz View Post
    Agree - Agree. I love my Berkley Bionix rods. Model above the Lighting Rod. A resort owner stepped on and broke my favorite rod last year. Saturday stopped at a garage sale and he had some rods. Couldn’t believe my eyes, there was a 6’ Berkley Bionix spinning rod that looked brand new. Mind you, this rod was the first edition and close to 40 years old. Oh my! Got it for $15 and was very happy to pay that. He also had 3 Lighting Rods for $7 - $10. They’re mine now too!
    Oh wow! My first venture into "higher end rods" in the early to mid 1980s were Berkley Cherry Wood, Grayfite, and then finally Lightning Rods! Great memories.

St. Croix LTB Sweeper Spinnerbait 7’0” MHMF
    Works well with any bladed bait. Exceptional for larger spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and chatterbaits. Doubles as a Pitching or Frogging rod when needed.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    St. Croix LTB Sweeper Spinnerbait 7’0” MHMF
    Works well with any bladed bait. Exceptional for larger spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and chatterbaits. Doubles as a Pitching or Frogging rod when needed.
    of all my st. Croixs i own, I only have 2x tournaments. The sweeper and the sniper. That sweeper catches me a lot of fish on spinnerbaits. Thinking of getting the newer “finesse carbon cranker” 7’2” MHMF.
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    '00 Tracker ProTeam 185 Special Edition
    '99 75 hp Merc ELPTO (ser. 0G837626)
    Minn Kota Terrova 80 w/Ipilot
    Helix 10 Sonar/GPS / bow 360 / RC-1
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3
    STRICTLY Shimano and St. Croix!!!!

17. Member
    US Destroyer Javelin

18. Member
    Loomis 843, both GLX and NRX+ versions
    Very close second is the Falcon Cara Swim Jig

19. Member
    7' medium fast tourney special from BPS. 2nd bait casting combo I ever bought. It had a browning reel on it from my first combo, then a cheap abu garcia, now an SLX. It still sits on the deck of my boat most of the time I go out. 3.8/3.3 swim baits, mini max chatterbaits, finesse jigs, dark sleeper, down sized Texas rigs, top water, squarebill, you name it it throws it. Heck when I first bought it I was frogging and swimjigging with it.

Most of my combos these days are mid priced shimano and st croix so it stands out lol
    2020 Ford F150 Raptor (100,000 miles)
    2021 Nitro Z19 200 ProXS. Ultrex Quest Helix 12 helix 8

20. Member
    Daiwa 5 power 6'8" Tournament Rod forum the 90's. Most sensitive jig rod I've ever held. I had two, but broke one boat flipping a big fish night fishing last year. I'll cry when the other one breaks.
    I also have 3 Daiwa VIP glass rods from the 80's that I wouldn't trade or sell for anything.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast