Thread: 5 to 6k rpms

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
  1. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    Serious question. I know you keep pushing the SHO (and flashing the **** out of it) but what is it about a Mercury four stroke that you don't like?
    I never hear about anyone flashing the Merc so maybe they are hard against aftermarket power adding? If that's the case that makes the Merc 4-stroke an inferior product to the flash cult. The bigger question is why Hydro Tec's unofficial intern got a boat with an Optipop and not an SHO. Makes no sense to me since the SHO has been out for close to 20 years now?
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

2. Member
    Why don't you guys start another thread?

I think we have answered the OP's question.

3. Member
    I think that motor doesn't make its peak HP until 5800 RPM, I would set it up to turn between 5800 and 6100 RPM wide open. Switching to a prop with less pitch or tuning the motor for more HP would both do that.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    Why don't you guys start another thread?

I think we have answered the OP's question.
    I agree, been reading though this thread and it seems odd that these people below chime in and blame Bassfisher444 for getting the thread off topic, yet their first posts are just to challenge what he said, then they continue to argue without giving any information that would help the thread starter. Most of what he said is accurate from what I have seen. A friend of mine has a Yamaha 200 on his TR 20 and it made a big difference after he put a tune on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    Do you have to tell people to flash their engine in every single one of your posts? Shit gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    Why not? Tournament fisherman. Read the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    ok i will take a stab at it if you fish tournaments an follow the rules if the rules state a 250 max an you flash it for over that you are cheating an at some point if you have to take a poly unless you are a great liar you will fail. nearly all the boats with 250 hp on them now will run close to 70 do you really need to go faster than that. an if you answer the question honestly how many do the flash for the mid range. the rules are the rules in most series you cant pick an choose which rules to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    I feel sorry for all the people who have had their thread derailed by "the flash".

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    Give it a rest man. You don’t even own anything that you constantly give your expert opinion on

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotAW4 View Post
    I agree, been reading though this thread and it seems odd that these people below chime in and blame Bassfisher444 for getting the thread off topic, yet their first posts are just to challenge what he said, then they continue to argue without giving any information that would help the thread starter. Most of what he said is accurate from what I have seen.
    Fair enough, BUT he chimes in on quite a few threads and offers absolutely nothing except to tell you that you're wrong. Now mind you, it's his opinion and nothing more. That's why he rubs so many people the wrong way. It's time after time. Here is a link to a thread where someone was making their first post about restoring a boat. You can tell he was happy to show pictures of what he had done. Then bassfisher has to chime in on what HE would have done. Great way to welcome a new member.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1265429

Now that we got past all that, I would call the Yamaha factory rep and ask for in writing their blessing on flashing the computer, with that in my possession I would then reflash it. Bet they decline on it.
    Get the motor checked out first and sure the tach is accurate, and it is actually getting full throttle, then we can talk in detail about props.
    Do not attempt to work a prop down in pitch, it never works out well.
    After a good baseline then select the correct pitch prop to achieve 6k to 6200 rpm in perfect conditions
    Base line it again and call Mark Croxton to get that prop tuned to perfection for your boat.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    I agree, been reading though this thread and it seems odd that these people below chime in and blame Bassfisher444 for getting the thread off topic, yet their first posts are just to challenge what he said, then they continue to argue without giving any information that would help the thread starter. Most of what he said is accurate from what I have seen. A friend of mine has a Yamaha 200 on his TR 20 and it made a big difference after he put a tune on it.

Giving advice without first hand experience is just wrong. Giving advice that could have serious repercussions (loss of warranty, tournament disqualification, insurance liability) is just reckless. I had no idea who this loon was, and have no intention to interact with him again, but bad advice needs to be called out, and yes, that would be relevant to the original post.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    Giving advice without first hand experience is just wrong. Giving advice that could have serious repercussions (loss of warranty, tournament disqualification, insurance liability) is just reckless. I had no idea who this loon was, and have no intention to interact with him again, but bad advice needs to be called out, and yes, that would be relevant to the original post.
    I do have first hand experience, also it doesn't void the warranty. I believe I have said that about 10 times already, no problems with insurance either. You call it bad advice but the reasons you give for it being bad advice are incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I do have first hand experience, also it doesn't void the warranty. I believe I have said that about 10 times already, no problems with insurance either. You call it bad advice but the reasons you give for it being bad advice are incorrect.
    Show us that in writing from Yamaha
    No they cannot void warranty, but they can deny a claim for repairs
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Member
    Will you ever acknowledge that your preferences don't necessarily equal what others want. Say for example, can you admit that a majority percentage of people would prefer a stock yamaha 225 sho on their 19' boat vs flashing it to a 300, having more power than they can handle, and breaking some tournament org rules?

Or if you had a passenger riding with you, they would prefer going on a cross country road trip in a new 6.7 powerstroke vs an old 7.3 with heavy modifications to get the power up in the ballpark of a modern diesel?
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

11. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Will you ever acknowledge that your preferences don't necessarily equal what others want. Say for example, can you admit that a majority percentage of people would prefer a stock yamaha 225 sho on their 19' boat vs flashing it to a 300, having more power than they can handle, and breaking some tournament org rules?

Or if you had a passenger riding with you, they would prefer going on a cross country road trip in a new 6.7 powerstroke vs an old 7.3 with heavy modifications to get the power up in the ballpark of a modern diesel?
    He must be a real hoot at parties
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

12. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Now that we got past all that, I would call the Yamaha factory rep and ask for in writing their blessing on flashing the computer, with that in my possession I would then reflash it. Bet they decline on it.
    Get the motor checked out first and sure the tach is accurate, and it is actually getting full throttle, then we can talk in detail about props.
    Do not attempt to work a prop down in pitch, it never works out well.
    After a good baseline then select the correct pitch prop to achieve 6k to 6200 rpm in perfect conditions
    Base line it again and call Mark Croxton to get that prop tuned to perfection for your boat.
    This is basically what everyone with a brain was telling the OP. Only a leadhead would flash before getting the best they can out of what they have first.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    This is basically what everyone with a brain was telling the OP. Only a leadhead would flash before getting the best they can out of what they have first.
    If you are going to flash it makes more sense to do that first because the optimal prop setup will be different than with it not flashed.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I think that motor doesn't make its peak HP until 5800 RPM, I would set it up to turn between 5800 and 6100 RPM wide open. Switching to a prop with less pitch or tuning the motor for more HP would both do that.
    HP is rated at 5500.

15. #FRB
    If you are going to flash it makes more sense to do that first because the optimal prop setup will be different than with it not flashed.
    You're completely missing the point. It's important to max out the setup BEFORE throwing money at it. Then the vast majority of people DO NOT give a **** about adding hp. Give it a rest before even more people put your know it all ass on ignore.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

16. Member
    what first hand experience? google search? how old are you anyway?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567