My new favorite way to fish.

Around here we cast drop shot rigs a lot and although it catches fish but I don't like it.
    Forever fighting line twists (spinning reels) and hangs up in brush constantly. Ive been known to break off, re-tie and hangup next cast. Insert every cuss word known and do it again.
    A few weeks ago I ran across a post about free rigs. I didn't even know what that was. So I looked into it and gave it a try.
    Im done drop shoting. This is working great.

Im using a Kastking Kestrel Elite BFS reel on a 7' Loomis GCX 843C CBR Mod-fast. 8Lb P-line (100% pure)
    nako 1/4oz tungsten skinny free rig weight. # 3 offset worm hook and a texas rigged robo worm.
    I can cast almost all the line off that reel in the wind even. No line twist issues.
    Im catching as many if not more fish too. Not saying I never hang up but it comes through the brush much much better. and its a very fast re-tie.
    Hook ups rate is better also and most fish are stuck right in the upper mouth.
    That rod has a lot of parabolic bend and just works those fish perfect.
    Just though id share this with you guys if you want to try something different.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

2. Member
    You dragging it or hopping up and letting it drift down? I've been trying it out but not much good so far. It's not really bottom fishing time on my lake right now but it's coming.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JK9027 View Post
    You dragging it or hopping up and letting it drift down? I've been trying it out but not much good so far. It's not really bottom fishing time on my lake right now but it's coming.

I cast it out and give it plenty of slack so it can fall as freely as possible then holding my rod tip high I twitch it in varying the times I twitch and the speed . I guess it is kind of hopping.
    Last edited by styler; 08-25-2024 at 02:03 PM.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

4. Member
    I really tried it two or three years ago and just had very little success,maybe should try again
    Red Sox in 6!

5. Member
    I gave them a try this summer. Didn't go so good, as we get sandgrass that rips loose and balls up on the sinker. I'll give it another go in the spring, before the grass kicks in. In the meantime, I'll be shaking a T-rig.